What stats are the most important in pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) % of first pitch strikes
2) % total pitches that were strikes and % of pitches that were a swing and miss
3) average pitches per batter
4) % of weak hits vs hard hits and % of grounders vs fly balls

1 and 4 are important. the % of total pitches that were strikes is good.

The % of pitches that were a swing and miss isn't helpful. Neither is the average pitches per batter.

May 31, 2012
Ks, bb, hits. If she's giving up a lot of hits she's throwing too many strikes. Since she has speed work on accuracy with both pitches.

Apr 22, 2013
I'm always an assistant coach: Rake Mud, draw lines, pitching/catcher...

IF they got down did they fight their way back out is always highlighted.
Stance and delivery, did we follow our shoulder shrug, breath, distance on lunges
Circle management, protecting home-plate from 3rd. Getting teammates involved.
Highlight the positives and we'll work on a few things next practice.
I use an app to keep track of stats game to game, season..

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Outs pitched per inning and earned runs.Its not her job to strike out every batter its her job to get 3 out in three pitches.Only want her to throw as many strikes as it takes to get them swinging at movement out of the zone.Ya she will walk 3-4 a game but only give up 3-4 hits.I like her walked a batter so what attitude, get the next one.So all we keep track of is outs per inning pitched and did any EARNED runs score.It is a team sport.

Feb 7, 2013
Stats are only as good as the scorekeeper who keeps them. If you think the person is fairly well versed in how to score a game accurately than ERA and WHIP is a good start to determine whether a pitcher is effective. An ERA under 2.00 and WHIP under 1.50 will likely win you a lot of ball games. Other stats I like are K/BB, a ratio of 2 to 1 or better is preferred. Also, a 65% or better strike % is good and opponents batting average .200 or less.

With that said, to really gauge the effectiveness of a pitcher you need to look at all of the stats, catch them, observe them in the circle, and then evaluate them amongst their peer group (pitching teammates).

Jul 17, 2012
How should you denote first pitch strikes in the scorebook?
Put numbers in the ball strike tally instead of checks, or tic marks. Then you can scan through the book looking at the strike box for "1's".

I think first pitch strikes and strike % are good focal points.

Here's a quick question somewhat related to the topic. Particular to the Past ball being poisonous. I can't tell you how many times this year DD put one on with a free pass (BB) and without another hit or walk in that inning, that walk turned into 3 stolen bases and a run. Our catcher was pretty good for her first year behind the plate, but she struggled with the balls in the dirt. I harp on DD to keep the ball down against better teams. The only problem is if she starts low, then misses low, we get past balls and advance base runners. Do you coach your pitchers to keep the ball up and out of the dirt with runners on base, with the chance that she can throw one down broadstreet? (12U Rec)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish