What pitches should my DD throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
My DD has been pitching for almost a year. She was taught to throw a fast ball, drop, drop curve, riser, screwball, and curve, change-up. Can she throw all of those pitches...yes....

I would just like to know am I on the right track in my thinking or am I way off and get the perspective of others with more experience than me. Thanks in advance.

If you'd come here sooner, you would know never to tell anyone that your DD has 7 pitches. In less than a year.

But you're here now, so you're learning it now. And I'm talking the literal definition of never. Not. Ever.

Other than that, seems like you're going to be just fine, because at least you knew that top speed is not equivalent to cruising, every pitch speed. :)

Jul 17, 2012
Really???? Ca'mon man
51mph fb...and 7 diff pitches at 11yrs old and one year of instruction.... did I mention Im a millionaire, ninja, nascar driver, pro basketball player, and a super model for a wife?
Way too many experienced fisherman in this forum to have a fish story like that!
All I can think of is Tom Jackson when I read this post...

Dec 22, 2012
I am by no means an expert on pitching. We just moved up from 8U coach pitch and DD has been with pitching coach for about 3 months now.

You're instincts are correct that she is working on too much. Even 5 pitches is too much imo at her age. The problem appears to be with your PC to me. I'd be looking for someone who could teach her to master one pitch at a time. Go with your instincts as they seem to be telling you that something is not right.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Yeah softsocdad, i appreciate the advice! She was taught a lot of pitches by her pitching coach. He was also the one that holds the gun so I am just going off what he says. With my inexperience he seems to be reputable, has a pitching acdamy, puts lots of girls in college, etc. My first thought was that they must learn the pitches and then accuracy comes later. However, her mechanics even with a FB are inconsistent. One day I can count strikes for a FB and she can hit 9 out of 10. The next day she can hit 6 out of 10. So I started to question a lot of things. When i say she was taught all those pitches I guess I would equate it teaching her trig at 11. She watched, listened to it all, but doen't understand the concepts. I started reading on here about a week or two ago to search for more info. I really do appreciate everyones advice and this points me in the right direction on what we need to do.

Oct 1, 2012
PapaPump, by now your probably slightly regretting your post but I do have to agree with SoftSoCal....never ever post like this again. lol. Anyway, let it all slide off your back man. The important thing is that your dd is pitching and your involved and your BOTH enjoying it.

At her age I would continue to simply work on mechanics of pitching. Timing, proper form, release point and spin. There is lots of other topics to cover as well. I would pick a few and work on those and post small questions at a time. All the other "pitches" she can throw or cant throw...throw them out the window for now. Focus on FB w/ speed and control, then move to Change up. Learning a change up can take some time as she may not take to the first grip you guys decide on...so find one she likes. Al that being said I suggest you start paying attention to Bill Hillhouse and his approach...you won't regret it. Look forward to seeing/hearing/reading about her progress. Patience brother patience.

Jan 25, 2011
Papapump, don't feel that your alone here. When my dd was 10yo, I was telling others that she was throwing 5 or 6 pitches. I understand the idea of showing a young pitcher the different pitches. It never hurts to have a good idea of them. You and your dd are on an adventure that will bond you even closer, sometimes you two will make each other mad, but it is how you come back together and find what each other needs to grow as a pitcher and as a parent. A lot of life lessons on a softball field. I wish your dd all the best, that this sport can offer.

Dec 19, 2012
It's hard to believe that a pitching coach with their own acadamy and has placed numerous pitchers in college would try to teach any young pitcher seven pitches within the first year of lessons.

Any pitching coach worth their weight should first work on speed and accuracy (fastball). Once the kid has a grip on that a second pitch should be incorporated; either a change-up or drop. Once the kid is comfortable with their second pitch, their 3rd pitch they should work on is also either the change-up or drop. These 3 pitches offer you change of speed and change of level. GO SLOW when it comes to adding pitches!!!! It's all about quality of pitches, not quantity of pitches.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I think some red flags have gone up regarding your dd coach. I would strongly urge you to post some video of your dd to have some of the true pros on this site take a look and make sure she's heading down the right road. If she's not, and I've been there, stop now and change course. Do you know what hello elbow is and slamming the door? Pushing vs whipping the ball locked elbow etc? If you do is your coach teaching any of these if you don't do some research but I highly recommend posting video. I have done it with my dd on a few occasions and it has been very informative and specific to her.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
Focus on the fastball. When she can throw that where you want it for a strike majority of the time than move on. Is she being taught IR, if so I found it easy to go to the drop next because its pretty much an earlier released fastball. The drop should be easy for her to learn if she can throw a consistent fastball with IR. (although the one girl I work with struggled with it for a good month or so becuase she would not release early, so we took a break and focused on the change up).

I highly reccomend Bill Hillhouse's DVD's. I read this forum may times and tought I would be able to get by with just reading the posts and getting feedback from others, and although it does help to get another viewpoint. Hillhouse broke down everything so nicely that it was impossible to not understand.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Let us see a couple of pitches from each direction, the front, side, side, and from the back. Let us see her throw over hand about 3 times. If you really want to protect her privacy, put a face mask on her and no team shirt, etc. or advertising on the walls, fence or whatever. On you tube, make certain that we can't get to al your private family video and really tell who you are. Not, that there are bad people on here, but trust no one with your daughter.

We will let up on you and help you, now. You might even want to forget that pitching coach for awhile and save your money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes