What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
#2 has got to be OF's that for what ever reason, suddenly decide to let the ball drop within a step of them. They had it, plenty of time and weren't even going full out for it, then at the last minute decide to hold up 5 ft short and try to play the bounce
My DD lost out on a no hitter (actually a perfect game at this point) by an outfielder coasting in and letting a ball drop in front of her.

Did I mention this was a bracket game for a National Championship?

Oct 4, 2018
Mine was said above. Drives me batty. Like I get certifiably insane, when a girl...

HOLDS THE BALL IN THE OUTFIELD.

Arghh!!!! Throw the damn ball. I mean really, know where you'll be throwing it before it's even hit, but even if you haven't been taught that or don't quite get it yet, just get the ball to a MI at least.

Jul 1, 2019
This is gonna be a longgggg list lol, but ill do top 10

3. Outfielders holding the ball and hesitating to decide where to throw

Gotta love these.

3. A few years ago when we were still in rec, we (the coaches) appropriately named one of our girls "3 pump". She practiced great, always did what we asked, worked hard, attitude a coach dreams of, etc. But, every time a ball was hit to her in the outfield in a game, she triple pumped before throwing, every single time (and usually ended up launching it over second anyway). She knew she did it, couldn't say why, never in practice but every time in a game, she literally couldn't stop herself. In the end we got over the frustration and laughed with her about it.

Mar 7, 2016
i know you said no officiating but im going to break that rule... Having a home plate ump that flinches at each pitch and looks away. This one makes me want to jump off that bucket and just walk away.

Sep 29, 2014
Speaking of holding the ball in the outfield and not just throwing in...I'm sure the team and parents were mad but as a casual observer I was just sad. HS State playoff semi finals, team is down by one run last inning, runners first and second nobody out, ball to shallow right field girl catches the ball and then freezes, runner at second takes off, third base coach sees RF is still confused sends girl home once girl is two steps from home girl throws a lollipop home girl on first goes to second on the throw. Next batter up if there was such a thing as a replay button in life this was it; batter hits same lazy pop up to RF just a little closer to the line takes her into foul territory, I kid you not that same girl who just let the tying run cross the plate held onto that ball while the girl from second scored....game over...she could have literally run the ball in and beat the girl home.

I would always tell my girls if you are not sure just throw it in ahead of the runner.

The effort plays are the ones that always drive my crazy outfielder run in hard to get into position and then let up at the last second so the ball drops in front of them.

Base running is another girls at 14U looking like they have never played the game before just either standing there or running right into an out right in front of them....and while we are on base running who are these 14U+ girls that can't slide it's just not that hard.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My DD lost out on a no hitter (actually a perfect game at this point) by an outfielder coasting in and letting a ball drop in front of her.

Did I mention this was a bracket game for a National Championship?
This is a great one to remind you of my “keeping both of my hands in my pockets” comment! ;) My hands are very good at breaking things!

Nov 15, 2019
HOLDS THE BALL IN THE OUTFIELD.

Arghh!!!! Throw the damn ball. I mean really, know where you'll be throwing it before it's even hit, but even if you haven't been taught that or don't quite get it yet, just get the ball to a MI at least.

Or, holds the ball and then instead of throwing it, tries to run it in. Aggghhhh!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
10. number one pet peeve is BAD ATTITUDES, girl makes a bad play and she is done for the game and it is contagious. Every girl will make an error, get over it and wait for your next chance to make up for it. one play doesn't make or break a game i dont care what level you are. but one play can change the momentum and at most age levels Ive seen that is a killer.
Don’t know where you live? It’s worth the price of admission to go to a camp at USC Upstate and see coach Chris Hawkins do his little pity party skit! To see this gigantic ole county boy crying, with shoulders slumped and dragging a bat behind is hilarious!

May 27, 2013
When I coached it was simply the girls showing up to practice or a tourney and not saying “Hi” when they walked up. I mean, really?! I blame their parents for that.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
12u players who ask me what the score is/are we winning/did we win is probably 1 through 9 on my list. Number 10 is 12u players who cry and whine about it being cold (in particular when it's above 40 degrees), and have their hands jammed in their pockets/inside their sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13