What is your DD's ''journey"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2016
My DD is starting her third year her first spring in TB. She is my worker, while both of my DD's have been fortunate in that academics come easy for them the oldest does just the bare minimum needed for an A while her sister puts in the work to get a high A. An example would be they had a writing project this year in her sixth grade gifted writing class to write a novel over the month of November her classmates did 5k-8k words, she did 25k. I have seen this translate to softball she does her catching and hitting drills nightly, begs me to take her to the field so she can hit, and is always up and ready to go to her catching and hitting lessons which are early on Saturdays. The biggest takeaway however is her confidence she has been talented but afraid to tryout whether it be for another softball team or for the play or musical at school. However her success in softball is giving her the confidence to fail. As such she just audition for and got a solo in her first choir concert. She has also shown a love about not just playing softball but learning the game, so we are making the two hour drive to Columbia Saturday to watch Maryland, Mizzou, and #4 Oregon play.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I don't know if this is on topic or not, but this has been more of a "Journey" for DW and I, than for DD.

DD has always known what she wanted to do (pitch). She has worked hard at it and become very good at it and has always been extremely confident in her abilities.

When she was 9 and said she wanted to pitch, we got her into lessons and started learning how. During her first couple seasons pitching, DW and I were sooo nervous for her we could hardly watch. Fast heart beat, Dry mouth, yelling instructions to help her 'not fail'. She soon showed us she could handle herself and for us to just chill out. Until...she guest played for a 14u team. She pitched the first game and did great, all was well. The next game she came out on the field and headed over to play at 1B. DW started freaking out. What came out of her mouth was something to the effect of "What's she doing at 1B? Put her back in the circle where she belongs!"

She now plays 16u, and DW and I finally understand...She is a confident, talented and well rounded young lady that can handle herself in just about any situation.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
With my dd, she has a high functioning form of autism. So for her, she gets extreme anxiety, has verbal and nonverbal difficulties. She heard many people tell her that she wasn't good enough, too short and/or started too late to be a pitcher. Her response has always been the same, "I want to pitch because it helps me feel better."

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

That is the ONLY reason to pitch.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD's journey started innocently enough lol. Her first year of coach pitch in the local rec league she started getting compliments on her arm and her speed. One of my favorite things to do is play catch with my kids, so we did that quite a bit, and it showed. Honestly travel/select softball wasn't on our radar, but she got asked to join a 10U team so we gave it a try. It was an awful year to say the least, and they didn't win a single game. We were set to go back to rec ball, but she insisted that she didn't want to go back to rec ball. She has worked and worked to make herself a better player, and some of things she has done boggle my mind. She is, and always has been very small for her age. She sees that as a challenge that she can overcome with hard work. She works out 3 days a week, slap hits twice a week, and does tee work twice a week. All of this from a 13 year old kid, all of it while getting straight A's, and all of it she does on her own. She has pretty high expectations of herself, but her journey is really just beginning and I have a front row seat.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It's hard to say where DD 3's journey will take her, but I can see where she has been so far.

DD 1 played softball for a few years, starting in 7th grade. DD 3 was a 3rd grader at the time. Often DD 1 would drag her siblings to practice with her. DD 3 thought it was a blast. She enjoyed practicing with her oldest sister, and also really enjoyed the game.

After a year of that, we put DD 3 into a little league softball program.

When DD 1 and DD 3 practiced together, they used tennis balls for batting practice, after hitting a few houses. They would take turns pitching batting practice. DD 3 had fun. So DD 3 decided to pitch, working with one of DD 1's coaches.

Fast forward a few years. The first TB team DD 3 was on had 4 pitchers, and DD 3 is the only one who still pitches. She isn't as much of a pitching stud as some of the other kids whose parents post here, but she has fun with it. She isn't as dedicated as some, but she works at it, and when she practices she gives it 100%, just as her sister did.

Now, DD 3 is a HS freshman. Lots of pitchers in the program, although a few, sadly, are injured. Enough pitching on Varsity that she will probably play JV for at least a year, probably two. But, in a few weeks she will pitch in her first HS game, albeit JV. If she keeps up with it, at some point she will pitch for Varsity.

Jun 14, 2016
For my DD, her biggest challenge has always been her severe asthma! She has been told countless times that she should not play softball much less pitch because the simple act of breathing can be a challenge for her! She has always been determined not to let her asthma hold her back! So far, I would say she has been pretty successful despite the obstacles that have been put in her way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One of the biggest challenges is constantly moving on and leaving friends behind. This includes teammates who could not keep up with her level of play or elected to stop playing. And of course those that will never understand her commitment to what she was doing. Throughout her softball career she has made quite a few sacrifices. Birthday parties, homecoming dances, and other social events. But now as a Senior in college I know should would not have done it any differently. Until someone has experienced it they really cannot understand the grind.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
DD is very early in the journey, but already we've learned some lessons.

DD is a tough kid. Last summer (at 7), she played all-stars for a coach who treated her like she wasn't worth his time. She didn't want to quit, she wanted to prove him wrong. And she did. He loves her as a player now, she wants nothing to do with him. She's never rude, but the kid can be ice cold.

In school, her teacher says that he wants her to be able to face adversity better. She tends to get frustrated and start shutting down. Both her hitting coach and her pitching coach have taught her to step back (off the rubber or out of the box), relax, then focus and be ready. We've worked with DD's teacher to adapt those strategies to the classroom - she'll signal her teacher, he'll nod to let her know she can take a break to get a drink outside and walk off the frustration, she comes back focused and ready.

She's learning to be a good teammate. She is always positive, and she encourages her teammates when they're down. She'll play catch with younger players instead of just sticking with her buddies. The mother of a girl who was new to our league told me that her daughter comes home talking about DD all the time, because DD chose to befriend her when she saw she knew no one else.

We spend a lot of time, money and energy on softball right now but I can't say for sure that she won't give it up for basketball or volleyball when she's older. But the journey would be worth it even if she gives up softball tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One of the biggest challenges is constantly moving on and leaving friends behind. This includes teammates who could not keep up with her level of play or elected to stop playing. And of course those that will never understand her commitment to what she was doing. Throughout her softball career she has made quite a few sacrifices. Birthday parties, homecoming dances, and other social events. But now as a Senior in college I know should would not have done it any differently. Until someone has experienced it they really cannot understand the grind.

Is that the end of her softball journey, or the end of this chapter?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00