what is your call on this play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the batter/runner is already standing on 1st base when the catcher ultimately picks up the ball and throws it, how has there been any interference on the play?

The scored runner deprived the catcher from attempting a play by contacting and knocking the ball away. The catcher could have picked up the ball and thrown to first. That is a play by definition (i.e., an attempt to retire an offensive player). Whether that attempt has a high or low probability of actually achieving an out is irrelevant. You don't know what would have happened - the runner could wander off the base, the throw could sail wild out of play, or it could be unproductive as you have assumed - but as long as the ball was live there was a potential for a play.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Dead ball, runner that was struck with the batted ball is out. All other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. In your play, R1 from third scores, batter runner is placed either at first or second, whichever base she touched prior to R2 being hit with the ball. This is only in effect if the ball has not yet passed an infielder other than the pitcher. QUOTE]

So this would be a good offensive strategy to use during the bottom half inning in ITB? Good luck to the blue trying to explain that to the losing team!

Jun 22, 2008
The scored runner deprived the catcher from attempting a play by contacting and knocking the ball away. The catcher could have picked up the ball and thrown to first. That is a play by definition (i.e., an attempt to retire an offensive player). Whether that attempt has a high or low probability of actually achieving an out is irrelevant. You don't know what would have happened - the runner could wander off the base, the throw could sail wild out of play, or it could be unproductive as you have assumed - but as long as the ball was live there was a potential for a play.

Nothing in the OP said anything about the ball being knocked away.
the ball rolls back and hits her in her left side or arm
Nothing described in the OP indicates any action has been done to deprive the defense from making a play.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing in the OP said anything about the ball being knocked away. Nothing described in the OP indicates any action has been done to deprive the defense from making a play.

Right here ^

It is nothing. The player who has just scored did not commit an act of INT. Too many people trying to take a real simple play into something it is not.

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, if i posted this before I am sorry. It is a good question and got plenty of responses so I am glad i repeated it

Here is the ASA Ruling per rulebook

RULE 8 – SECTION 7P AND EFFECT.
RULING: Runner scores. Runner interferes. Ball is dead. Runner closet to home plate is out (in this instance, the batter would be out).
EXPLANATION: Again, runner slides home safely and scores. Home plate is never “occupied,” you score and that’s it. So the point about being in contact with home plate at the time of the interference has no bearing. The next part of the play, the runner that just scored interferes with a fair batted ball treat it as a runner that scored, and has now interfered with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner (just like on deck batter interference, or retired runner interference). With the interference, the ball is dead and the runner closest to home plate would also be out. Again, for this play, it would be the batter-runner.

Neal, I actually found a case play from the 2007 ASA Case Book. It will not allow me to copy and paste because of the security settings in the PDF document, but it is case play 8.8-50. This play involves a batter who has bunted with a runner advancing from 3rd. Backspin on the ball causes it to contact the runner as they slide across the plate. Rulling is there is no interference since the runner did not intentionally contact the ball. Ball remains live.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Comp, if i posted this before I am sorry. It is a good question and got plenty of responses so I am glad i repeated it

Here is the ASA Ruling per rulebook

RULE 8 – SECTION 7P AND EFFECT.
RULING: Runner scores. Runner interferes. Ball is dead. Runner closet to home plate is out (in this instance, the batter would be out).
EXPLANATION: Again, runner slides home safely and scores. Home plate is never “occupied,” you score and that’s it. So the point about being in contact with home plate at the time of the interference has no bearing. The next part of the play, the runner that just scored interferes with a fair batted ball treat it as a runner that scored, and has now interfered with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner (just like on deck batter interference, or retired runner interference). With the interference, the ball is dead and the runner closest to home plate would also be out. Again, for this play, it would be the batter-runner.

I have to ask...

You say that this is the ruling "per the rulebook". But what you posted does not appear in the rule book. It's somebody's take on how they're personally interpreting the rules. So it's really the ruling "per somebody's opinion".

Who is the "somebody" and where did this interpretation appear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA