What is the purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
What is the purpose of a coach doing drills with the pitchers, raising up on their toes on both feet? All it did was mess up my grand daughter last year.. If you need do it i guess i need an explanation

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is it softball practice or a ballet lesson? Having trouble visualizing what you are describing but it does strike me as odd.

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
TO SAY the least ODD, my gd is a freshman, and this same guy messed her up last year, next time out she pitched a 4 inning no hitter, max she could pitch, next girl up gave up 2 runs but the girls won,.. Her coach came over to me and said, "guess she works with you from now own". I am the first to admit i am not a pitching coach, but you are not supposed to throw the ball up, which is what this does.

He claims to be a pitching coach 0-16 last year. My gd refused to do these drills,today, all the others 4 were. and i said " good you know better",e don't need to correct you before season..

Like i said if there is a reason i need know.
tks

If you had seen my grand daughter, at release both feet , toes pushing body vertical, talk about mechanics

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If he had of it might bot have messed up my grand daughter, a year ago, i had to 3 step her, half hitch, and get the hunch out of the shoulder, it's like talking to a recording, i've never seen any one like this. sorry, we went separate ways a year ago,

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is this where the drill where the pitcher stands with their body square to the catcher, feet apart and does a full arm circle snapping the ball to the catcher while coming up on their toes, and finishing with a classic hello elbow? Basically performing mechanics never found in an actual full motion delivery.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
One of daughters old pitching coaches did something like you describing but a little different. It would be front foot up on toes (or ball under heel or even wear one heal style shoe - funny to watch that) and pitch with hips open with full circle from glove pointing straight at catcher. It helps girls that lean forward to much. Nothing else, no speed, no accuracy, just stance for release. We only did this drill when she would lean forward to much at release.

Oct 4, 2014
without seeing a video I cannot comment specifically to why he would want her to do tiptoe drills. some PCs have their students do these if they push their rear end out or have too much heel involved. IMO, this is not a drill that all pitchers need to do, which may be the problem. if the PC has them all do it, it is probably a problem. if your DGD has good posture and follows the drive mechanics posted by Java ie drive heel not sinking during drive and currently lands on forefoot before heel plant with stride foot then IMO the drill can do no good at best and at worst mess her up, which is what it sounds like happened.
solution is read and reread drive mechanics focus on what is said there and all will be good.
best of luck to her

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I assume this is HS. If your DGD is taking pitching lessons I would nicely tell the HS coach not to change her pitching motion or delivery and let her just do the drills her pitching instructor provided.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sounds like the HS coach saw a drill somewhere and decided to apply it to everyone. To me, drills are there to solve specific issues or make specific improvements. If you don't have the issue, you don't need the drill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi