What is appropriate for a parent to discuss with a head coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
A parent's question for the head coaches here.

I've limited most of my discussions with the HC to asking, after a tournament or even a team practice, what should DD work on this week during my practice with her. I don't ask about playing time, luckily DD rarely is on the bench, and I don't know enough about the game to question any game time strategy.

I'm not asking about topics the parents should not asking about. What would like to know what HC's feel is appropriate for a parent to bring up with the head coach?

Jun 11, 2012
If your DD is 9th grade or above she should be having the majority of the conversations with HC especially those about what she needs to work on. Younger than that I think what you are asking is appropriate.
By that age the only time I talked to her coaches was if she was injured and I was going over a rehab plan or something.

Oct 4, 2018
I like your question a lot, for several reasons. It shows you care and will be working with her. And it shows that you (seemingly) care more about development than playing time.

Mar 28, 2014
A parent's question for the head coaches here.

I've limited most of my discussions with the HC to asking, after a tournament or even a team practice, what should DD work on this week during my practice with her. I don't ask about playing time, luckily DD rarely is on the bench, and I don't know enough about the game to question any game time strategy.

I'm not asking about topics the parents should not asking about. What would like to know what HC's feel is appropriate for a parent to bring up with the head coach?
how old is she?

Jun 22, 2019
My girls are in HS, so the only thing I talk to the coach about is needs for the team. I expect my daughters to communicate with the coach and vice versa.

The one exception is for my daughter that pitches. She will never tell a coach she is hurting or needs to come out of the game. If I know before a game she is hurting I will tell the coach to watch her or if she pitched a bunch of games that weekend for her TB team, I will tell the coach so she can pull her if she looks tired or isn’t performing.

When they were younger I would ask the same thing you are asking. What do you want them to work on this week.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There's nothing wrong with talking about game strategy generally with a coach, but I wouldn't ever directly criticize no matter how much you might know. It can always be approached with a "help me understand" standpoint. A coach who doesn't want to talk about softball isn't someone you want your DD around. Don't talk about your DD, and avoid talking about any other player unless you are clearly complimenting their performance.

With a player ~12U or younger, if there's an issue with playing time, a discussion about where your kid fits and what they need to do to improve also isn't out of line. Older than that, the kid should be the one initiating the conversation. However, not all teenagers are direct or persistent enough at that age to get a clear answer. If their effort comes up short, going to the coach yourself is appropriate. These conversations should NEVER be held during, in between, or even immediately after ball games. That's a sure-fire way to a quick exit. After a practice is OK, or some other time when there's good prospect for a calm and private conversation. Just keep in mind that if your perspective and the coach's are radically different, be prepared to move on to another team...possibly right then.

Nov 18, 2015
Ponder this question - what would happen if I never ask the coach anything?
Most likely, nothing. As in - coach will continue on his or her current path, content in the knowledge that since no one has ever discussed with them their reasoning behind position assignment, lineups, or game strategy, then that must mean they have 100% buy-in from the parents. And they'll all play happily-ever-after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying