What is a mid-major college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
Louisville a mid?... what you may not and probably do not know is that not only the mens won the national but so have the women bb. Not to mention that SB has been to the wcws regionals the last 12 years. UCF usf couldent win their own conference to earn a bid.

You look at where the cards have sent teams the last 5 years in the post season in all sports and what amount of resources the university spends on those sports and we are in the top 5% of Major sports programs.

L1CF

Dec 19, 2012
From Wikipedia:

Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the major five conferences (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison). The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences.

It's just a term.....nothing more.

Mar 26, 2013
That's how I define it. It has nothing to do with the strength of a particular sports team. It's the conference. As good as they are in softball, Louisiana-LaFayette is a mid-major school. Some mid-majors are better than some majors. But when is the last time that a mid-major school won a national title in D-I? Not counting hockey.
Fresno St won CWS in 2008. Cal State Fullerton ranks very high on the lists for CWS titles and appearances with 4 and 16 respectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC