What happened to my DD??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2012
My DD was fine on Saturday. Sunday she was warming up nicely. Snapping, hitting her spots, lots of pop, etc... Stuck her in the game, and she's pushing the ball, throwing high, and basically didn't have anything. This was the first time I ever saw this. She's only 12u. She also just starting wearing contacts. Could any of this be playing a part in her pitching? Is it mental? Has anyone experienced this? And how do I explain this to a the PC when she does great in her lessons? Don't get me wrong - the ump had a small strike zone. But that wasn't it... She's not a high pitcher!!!

PS - She's very good at aiming her pitches - not modifying them to hit spots but specifically aiming them which is why I mention contacts...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
You should've posted this under the "Softball Parents are Crazy" thread.........

My DD was fine on Saturday. Sunday she was warming up nicely. Snapping, hitting her spots, lots of pop, etc... Stuck her in the game, and she's pushing the ball, throwing high, and basically didn't have anything. This was the first time I ever saw this. She's only 12u and I know hormones are kicking in high gear. She also just starting wearing contacts. Could any of this be playing a part in her pitching? Is it mental? Has anyone experienced this? And how do I explain this to a the PC when she does great in her lessons? Don't get me wrong - the ump had a small strike zone. But that wasn't it... She's not a high pitcher!!!

PS - She's very good at aiming her pitches - not modifying them to hit spots but specifically aiming them which is why I mention contacts...

May 17, 2012
I know when my DD pitches a lot of innings I can always tell when she is getting tired as she starts to pitch higher in the zone. Her mechanics get sloppy and she tries to muscle the ball.

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of them go through this. The lesson you want to teach is that their mechanics are what make the pitches work, not the pitchers desire to make the pitches work. In other words, stop trying to "make" things work. Shut the brain off and throw. If the pitcher has practiced successfully then they will simply be able to repeat this with their brain in cruise mode.

It's usually the smarter kids that become "head cases" in the circle because they're over thinking everything and trying to make adjustments on every pitch. Overcoaching only makes this worse.

-W

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My DD was fine on Saturday. Sunday she was warming up nicely. Snapping, hitting her spots, lots of pop, etc... Stuck her in the game, and she's pushing the ball, throwing high, and basically didn't have anything. This was the first time I ever saw this. She's only 12u and I know hormones are kicking in high gear. She also just starting wearing contacts. Could any of this be playing a part in her pitching? Is it mental? Has anyone experienced this? And how do I explain this to a the PC when she does great in her lessons? Don't get me wrong - the ump had a small strike zone. But that wasn't it... She's not a high pitcher!!!

While this is not unusual thought activity for parents, I would suggest not going over this checklist with your daughter. If she's got a good pitching coach, trust the process. Which includes being a high pitcher some days.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Dana,

it could be many things. I am going to relate a story that happened to me and involved a colleg baseball ploayer many years ago.

However, you mentioned she just started wearing contact lenses. Some years back I was talking with the wife of my former center fielder from my team. That center fielder was the strongest hitter I have ever played with or against. He was also a hitting inmstyructor in Texas. Their son was in cillege playing baseball, he was also a tremendous hitter.

His Mom said he was having problems and desc ribed them to me. I told her it sounded like a vision thing to me. She said he had worn contact lenses for several years. He haId been to the eye doctor just 3 or 4 months before and his vision had changed, they gave him new lenses. I said it still sounds like a vision thing and I suggested she tak him back again. I also mentioned that when he is in the batters box, *he is a RH hitter) that his head is turned slightly to the right of straight on towards the pitcher. I did not know if that could be a factor but the left eye was closer to the pitcher than the right eye.

She took him back to the eye doctor and sur enough, his vision had changed in just 3 or 4 months. I guess that is why thery call them 'Corrective lenses'. He got new lenses and started pounding the ball again. She asked the doctor about the position of his head when batting, L eye a little closer than the R eye. The doctor said yes, with contact lenses it can make a difference. The simple truth was that eye doctors look aty and compare your vision with you looking straight on, not with your head slightly turned, like a batter.

Now to your daughter and this post mentioning her lenses.

The possibility exists that her vision might have changed since the last exam and new script for lenses. This might be the case for your daughter.

I have also wondered if a pitcher using the 'Open mechanics' that Bill Hillhouse teaches might have a problem with their vision and contact lenses. They are staying completely open and thgeir head isd ALSO turned a little more to the side placing the glove side eyue a lille closer than the other. I can picture this making a difference and having the effect it did on that college baseball player when batting.

Just something to consider if a hitter or pitcher has accuracy issues and wears contacts. It might not be a mechanics, mental or ant other problem. It might be the contact lenses.

I remember a 12u 1st baseman that would miss 4 or 5 catches per game, that copst her team a few games. Suggested a vision exam, she had never had one. Parents saw no reason as she read and everything else just fine. They took her and she came back with lenses. No more missed catches.

Dont forget a possible vision issue being the causes of weak / poor pitching, hitting or fielding. Is it possible that a pitcher that leans forward might be doing so to try and see the target better???? Not sure there. However, I would consider that a possible reason.

Dont dismiss a player without asking that question. "Do you wear contact lenses?"

Jul 17, 2012
I guess she's just not a pitcher. Have her try 1B or the outfield. J/K of course. They all have off days. Heck...Major League baseball pitchers that make MILLIONS of Dollars per year have days where they have no command of their pitches. It happens. If it happens 10 times in a row.. then yeah...something is "broke" in her mechanics.... identify it and work on it. Pitchers need to have a short memory when things don't go exactly how they want them to.... Outing to outing..inning to inning...even pitch to pitch....

Don't go looking for problems based on one off day. She pitched just fine on Saturday and in Warm Ups... Vision didn't change that quickly. As for explaining her struggles to the PC, don't worry, unless your DD is his/her first student....they've been there and done that....

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Sunday she was warming up nicely. Snapping, hitting her spots, lots of pop, etc... Stuck her in the game, and she's pushing the ball, throwing high, and basically didn't have anything.

Here's your problem.

Now the next time she warms up poorly you'll stick her in the game and she'll be lights out.

Boy I loved those horrible pre-game warm-ups my DD threw:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors