What do you think?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
DD pitches better in games too. Velo up and movement better. She is also better after the 2nd/3rd inning vs the 1st...probably more to do with understanding what the umpire is calling than being warmed up.

May 13, 2023
girls who do great in practice but can't seem to do it in games? I see that a lot.
See that with hitting. Flaws get exposed.

Defensively players get so much more reps in practices hard to compare against a few plays made over a day in games.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Today’s practice. I have some ideas, just wondering what others think as well.

She hit a new high of 57. Really close to cruzing at 55, will throw between 53 to 55 sometimes. Change at 43. She started on the mound for first time on varsity Monday, freshman. Her speed was fluctuating, so I start watching her from the side and she was walking through the pitch. Haven’t seen that old habit for some time. This is the first practice since the start. We won 12-2, she gave up two big hits. 1 hitter lefty, back door curve that broke to much going center center cut for a triple. K the 2 hitter. Then threw a rise that spun funny and was flat, center cut on the 3rd hitter for a HR. 2-0. From there O runs, 2 hits, 0 walks with 8 K’s in 5 innings (9 K’s total) all the pitches still worked, except 2, the ouches.

The senior gets most starts with Taylor coming in relief in pressure situations, 4th to 7th. All but, 1 game, our only loss (besides our first non league game we used as a pre season game where everyone pitched and everyone played). The one loss the starter went the distance in a 2-1 loss. To a team that is good, always a battle between use, back and forth wins/losses.

I need to get better video after spring break.during games. More clear shots.

Can you imagine that motion walking through the pitch, bending forwards. Her easy fix is to take a small step back after focusing on FSR, including the glove arm Which you see in today’s practice.

Hopefully after spring break it warms up in the NW. 52 degree average for our games. I want to gun her in warm weather where she always throws harder. Just like the practice to game speed changes.

Looking to solve the what’s different between the three.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Always strikes me as a bit odd when their speed is (much) different in practice vs. games. In either direction.

The old saying "practice like you play". I expect my pitchers to throw as hard and focused in practice as they do in a game. Or at least try to.
You talkin' 'bout practice? Practice? Not a game?

Jan 28, 2017
I think she looks good. I would work to stabilize her core a little and not let her non throwing side over rotate.

My daughter has always threw harder in games. 🤷‍♂️ Normally harder as the game goes.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ye
I think she looks good. I would work to stabilize her core a little and not let her non throwing side over rotate.

My daughter has always threw harder in games. 🤷‍♂️ Normally harder as the game goes.
yes always throws harder in a game and in warmer weather. Which hasn’t happen yet here in NW.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

What do you mean about about over rotating the front side?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You talkin' 'bout practice? Practice? Not a game?
IMHO, it depends upon the purpose of the practice.

If a kid is working on breaking pitches or control, then the kid may need to slow down.

If a kid is working on speed, the kid needs to be throwing at least as fast as during the game, and maybe faster. (Higher speed means less control. Also, if she is doing an aggressive walk-through to increase speed, she obviously can't do that during a game.)

Jan 28, 2017
What do you mean about about over rotating the front side?
I prefer your shoulders to stop at around 45 to 35 degrees. It appears her upper body turns completely to the catcher. Some teach that but I don’t think that’s optimal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad