What do you call it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
FP. congrats to your daughter.

As I said and tried to illustrate, those are very rare. In all my years of playing I have only witnessed 3 of them ever happen.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
For your DD, I'd tend to call it a minimum game, since no unnecessary batters came up.

If it was my own DD, it would be "The Great Blackjack Slaughter of 2011", and I'd have t-shirts for the whole team at the next practice.

Jun 20, 2008
I have to take back my previous statement about the coach not letting it happen, that depends on how the other team was doing, If its a game then maybe, but if you are batting around on them and having to step off early to give them outs, let someone else throw...just saying

Apr 25, 2010
DD has had 2 no-hitters. Both were this calendar year and both were 1 batter from a perfect game. Very proud of her, but she will tell you that her defense got it for her on the first game. The 2nd game, she was just "on". She also knows that, the older she gets, the fewer of these she will have. I've gotta say, it's pretty cool seeing their faces when they make this accomplishment.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I've gotta say, it's pretty cool seeing their faces when they make this accomplishment.
This is what matters most...whether the quality of the team was low or the defense played a key role or anything else. Seeing those smiles is what its all about!

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If you are playing a team and you are striking out 21 batters and the team is lousy, what sort of accomplishment is that? When Angela Tincher no-hit the USA team, now that was an accomplishment. It depends on the quality of the competition whether you leave the pitcher in to achieve a personal record.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
There is definitely different levels of accomplishments and when your successful at the more difficult ones it means a whole lot more.
However...you don't chose your opponent to go after having this happen.... and these success's are still successes and can play a key role in your motivation to improve and self image/confidence as pitcher. If the team was so poor that it was over whelming...did she learn anything? No. Did she get to experience something she may not ever experience again? yes. Would you want to do that over and over...of course not. You would want her to think she did something on the level of Tincher's accomplishment..of course not. You would want her to smile about what she did? I would think so.

If the team was a poor C level team...we would say she should be at B level...if she did at B level....she should be playing A level. If she did it at A level she should be GOLD. Would each step be an accomplishment? Yes but someone could always bring up the competition level. The coach left her in and she accomplished that...she should smile about it and enjoy. She isn't likely to experience it again regardless of the competition.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I see that you fathers out there are worried about the "smiles" and the "feel good" stuff. The game is about competing and winning not getting those unforgettable smiles. Forget stats like 21 strikeouts unless it is against a team that is of high quality relative to your daughter's level of achievement. True top level players and coaches get this concept. The ones who believe in trophies for everybody don't.

May 25, 2010
It's called "I want to let everyone know my daughter had 21 strikeouts".

If you are playing a team and you are striking out 21 batters and the team is lousy, what sort of accomplishment is that? When Angela Tincher no-hit the USA team, now that was an accomplishment. It depends on the quality of the competition whether you leave the pitcher in to achieve a personal record.

I see that you fathers out there are worried about the "smiles" and the "feel good" stuff. The game is about competing and winning not getting those unforgettable smiles. Forget stats like 21 strikeouts unless it is against a team that is of high quality relative to your daughter's level of achievement. True top level players and coaches get this concept. The ones who believe in trophies for everybody don't.

Are you sure that they are the ones who don't get it?

Believe it or not, softball is different things to different people. Apart from her father, no one here has any way of gauging the value of that experience to the girl who threw the perfect game and no one - no even her dad - can know how it may impact her future.

Apr 25, 2010

Wow. First off, I'm not a father. Just wanted to clear that up.

Secondly, my DD knows that when she plays the higher level teams, this is unlikely to happen. It just so happened that the first game was only 2.5 innings long so we had ridiculously long at-bats. Why bother putting in another pitcher?

Also, she knows better than anyone, that she has to play better competition to get better. She loves playing tougher teams. It's more exciting for her since she likes being challenged. And she certainly doesn't deserve a trophy she hasn't earned.

I hope never to be as arrogant and jaded as you are when it comes to my DD's softball career or anything else, for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG