What do parents do at softball camps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
I know that my job is to make sure DD is there on time, fed, well-rested, and ready to work, but aside from that, do parents have any other responsibilities?

I guess the question I really want to ask is whether we're supposed to cheer.

Apr 13, 2010
I watch and try to learn as much as I can from what is going on. Other than that bring a good book, newspaper, and/or magazine.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Sit. Watch. Quietly. I would die if my parent was there, yelling at me or cheering at me. The majority of these events, parents don't stay (or at least the ones I go to).

Sep 3, 2009
My dd goes to a Big12 camp each year. They have an orientation on the first day, and parents are invited. I attend that, and then go home. A couple days later on the last day, I go early and watch all day. Parents are sort of kept to the side, which is better IMO. What am I going to yell out to her, that she isn't already hearing from D1 athletes and coaches out on the field?? I just sit and take lots and lots of pics, and mingle with the other parents. :)

May 25, 2010
lol @ quietly!!

Thanks, all. Being quiet won't be a problem, as I can be pretty shy in unfamiliar settings. hehe

My tummy is probably gonna be churning until she gets her feet underneath her. She's always been the big fish, so this will be her first time being around a bunch of girls who are all committed to the sport. My hope is that she can just relax and do her thing...which will probably be easier if I'm out of sight. *sigh*

Thanks for posting the question, SoftSocDad! I was wondering the same thing. My dd goes Monday to a D1 camp. My intentent is to get her checked in and hit the road. I think the last day we'll go and watch them scrimmage, but not staying over there all week. It's a 3 hour drive from here, so wouldn't be convenient anyway. Someone did ask if I was staying over there all week and I quickly told them NO! I personally cannot wait to see what she comes home doing from being with a phenomenal group of instructors (not that her school coach isn't great). WOO HOO - enjoy the peace and quiet while she's at camp! :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Be alert as to what you will do if, DD calls you crying, begging to come home (if it is an overnight.) My DD went to the UofIL. when she was in 7th grade and her catcher got so home sick that she would call home crying all the time. My DD told her mom not to pick her up, though. She said that T was just crying on the phone and then she was OK. So, check with the director if you get any phone calls.

Lawd o' mercy....I hope my dd doesn't call home!! She's a "goer" and would be gone all summer if I let her. Her roommate is from her school ball team, too. I have explained to her that they will split them up depending on age and ability and not to "dumb down" her skills just to be on the same team as her roommate, who has a little way to go skill wise. She is all ready for it - been training at home and at practice (summer practices have started here). This year, her school ball coach said that no one is guaranteed a spot - it has to be earned. The change in DD from this summer to last is amazing - she is so focused on her position and batting and ready to "be a sponge" at camp! Maybe I'll turn my phone to vibrate at night?! :)

Sep 3, 2009
I would definitely encourage them to go with a friend. This year my dd is going with a fellow teammate who is very focused, like my dd, so they'll be roommates. Last year my dd got sorta weepy one night, and called, but was ok after a little pep talk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles