What do falling cats and high-level softball fastpitch pitchers have in common??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
Both falling cats and ace fastpitch pitchers are masters of spin! Cats have this ninja-like reflex called the "righting reflex" that lets them twist mid-air and land on their paws. As for those pitchers, they're throwing curveballs that can juke out even the best hitters with their wicked spins. So the real answer is: they both know how to turn a sticky situation into a purr-fect landing. Just don't try to pet the pitcher after a strikeout; not as friendly as your average tabby.
😼

Jun 20, 2015
actually it's very meaningful. If you've worked with one pitcher and she's terrible..... Versus 50 and 49 are in NCAA and 1 was terrible.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why would you respond like this?
How many pitchers you work with is a meaningless question.

Uh? Without working with pitchers you wouldn’t understand how meaningless science is to an 8 year old or older.

Paul has been spreading his science for decades with no results.

Paul also never sent me what I paid for decades ago and he did it to many people.

I guess I don’t understand what he is trying to accomplish. I just know he is not I nice
person. Even if I forgive him it doesn’t change his agenda.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I thought hitting mechanics were tough conversation. Results are results!!!???!!!

You read his posts when he showed up. He basically said he will post his science and his opinions and not debate or something to that nature. He thinks he knows something, the problem is all his info comes from books. He has no idea how the body works. All his info is from books with no application in the physical world. The athletic spectrum is great. If he worked with an actual players he would realize how stupid his book knowledge actually is when working with actual players. He has been spewing his science for 30 years. Never seen anyone get better from it. I laughed pretty hard at science he posted, very amusing.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
Sorry did not mean to abandon this thread. Have had other commitments that require my attention.

One of the very interesting differences between overhand pitching and softball fastpitch pitching is that fastpitch pitchers become airborne in the delivery and quite often lose contact with the ground during the delivery. Not having the ground to work against any movement of one part of the body will significantly create a reaction effect on another part of the body.

One of the most extreme examples of this is Jordy Bahl's throwing mechanics.

The action of the arms have significant impact on what the entire body is doing with respect to opening and to a much lesser degree closing of the body.

Very much like that cat being dropped starting upside down position and then righting itself in midair seemingly to defy the "laws of physics".

For example regarding "glove swim". And by glove swim I'm referring to the casting out horizontally of the glove arm and then it's pulling down towards the hip. What I don't think many people realize is that the action of the arm sweeping out horizontally, in the case of a right-handed pitcher the arm sweep would be toward first base, actually causes the shoulders to open. This is typical action-reaction that the arm swing outward and around will cause the shoulders to want to rotate in the opposite direction, opening.

Also the subsequent action of the glove arm being pulled down to the hip has the potential to create a closing action of the upper body due to the "figure skater effect".

Enjoy! ;)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
actually it's very meaningful. If you've worked with one pitcher and she's terrible..... Versus 50 and 49 are in NCAA and 1 was terrible.
Lance, I don't believe we have anyone posting here now that comes close to that type of resume. LOL

Referencing people's/poster's resumes in response is a sensitive subject. Some of us have been at this for a very long time. Does that then mean that we know what we are talking about? Some of us can provide "evidence" of success. How much of the success of those we coach is really due to our efforts? Some of us have been at this for a short time. Does that mean that their advice and experience are less valuable? Should we all be judged by the results of those we claim to be dds or relatives? After all, those are the ones that most often we work more with. What about their natural athletic ability and where does that play in?

This is a message board. Just like buyers beware, that is the approach one should make when reading contributions on this site. As I have often stated, personally, I am an ex-expert. I don't claim to know much. I do love discussing hitting and softball so I participate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06