What catchers mitt to buy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2016
Hello all
My daughter is starting to take an interest in catching. With that being said i am looking into buying her a catchers mitt. a little back ground she is in 10U and has smaller hands there is a possibility of her moving up to 12U to warm up and practice with their pitchers so she might be catching some 12" balls as well as the 11"
i am not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on a mitt not knowing if she is going to stick with catching.I have already checked the local play it again
here are the 2 that I've narrowed it down to looks like the biggest difference is youth to adult
Mizuno 32.5" Youth Prospect Series Fastpitch Catcher's Mitt 59.99 at dicks
and the Mizuno 34" Supreme Brown Series Fastpitch Catcher's Mitt 79.99 at dicks
thanks for the help

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The Miz Prospect series (GXS101) is an entry-level mitt, and is a very common choice for young and small catchers (my DD started with this mitt). It breaks in very easily, and can be game-ready in a day or 2. However, its structure along the finger-side edge also breaks down quickly, which can cause a lot of missed catches as the mitt nears the end of it's usefulness. Don't expect much more than one season of rec-level ball out of this mitt.

The Miz Franchise series (GXS90) is a step up in all areas - hand protection, structure, quality, size, and weight. The old version of this mitt (GXS92) was also used by my DD for a while, and was excellent for her in 10U handing a couple of pretty good pitchers. However, for small girls at the lower end of the strength range, the size and weight might be too much. If your DD likes the way if feels on her hand, and feels like she can maneuver it easily, I would recommend the GXS90 over the GXS101 every time.

Other mitts I would recommend...
- All-Star CMW2510 (available online through a few different retailers)
- Vinci Fortus (contact DFP'er casedawg51 for the best deal)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
^^^^^ Listen to Eric, he's been there and done exactly that ! In case she doesn't want to stick with catching, I think you could probably unload the Vinci pretty quick and recoup most of your money.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would suggest Ebay or Play It Again Sports for a used catchers mitt if your DD is just starting and you are not sure if she is going to stick with it. Breaking in a brand new catchers mitt while learning how to catch is no fun, and the frustration could lead to her giving up prematurely. If you do buy a new catchers mitt ask one of the pitchers parents to help break it in during "bucket time".

You could also ask the catchers on your DD's team if they have a backup catchers mitt you could borrow while your DD tries the position. Might save you some time and money if she decides catching is not for her.

Aug 16, 2015
My 10U DD recently burned through a GXS101 in about 4 months. That was 3 tournaments and twice a week (hour ea.) catching clinics.

Its on its last legs while we break in her new mitt.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have a week old Allstar CMW4000 that i am trying to get rid of for $100 shipped. Paid $140

That's a great mitt!!...and a very fair price. In my DD's latest mitt selection process, the CMW4000 was one of the candidates. I was pretty impressed with it. For a 10U or smaller 12U player, this would be a VERY good choice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad