What are you looking for in a team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
I do think one factor may have been left out (or I overlooked) in other posts as to how families decide on what team to play for...$$$.

My DD just starting taking pitching lessons in August prior to her freshman year in HS (She is now a sophomore), so I know that she is not an elite/gold/etc. level pitcher as of yet. However, I know that there teams in the area that are (desperately) looking for pitchers...a lot of teams. For me, it came down to the fees.

We joined a B level 16U team where she will get circle time, but a larger factor was how much the fees would be. We don't have fancy uniforms, we bring our own helmets, there are no team bags. I cannot afford the inital $4K to $5K investment that does not even include travel to FLA three times in a season. The reason she just started pitching is that I really didn't have the money for lessons, but her pitching knowledge/ability has allowed her to be the #1 varsity pitcher on her small HS team. That leaves little money for travel ball. She is having FUN on her current team and she only has a few more years of not being an adult.

I am also in a situation where she is my only child and I am still learning about the college recruiting process (I never participated in college athletics, so it is all new to me). I had no idea what this all entails until I started talking to other parents at a group pitching class that she attends. Her pitching coach (30 years of experience with a number of D1 pitchers that he has trained) is (as he should at this age level) reminding the parents about the college recruiting process. One of the suggestions that he has is that my DD play on a team that a college coach will come out to see (this probably does not include the team she is currently on). In order to make up for her not playing for an elite club, I realized that she can attend the small (affordable) clinics that some colleges host to get her noticed if she is serious about playing in college. However, now it is in the back of my mind that I may eventually need to get her on a better team moving forward. This TB stuff is not always easy on a parent, especially as their DD's get closer to college.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
My wife and I want, and have found, an organization that has:

1. Coaches that are not biased or have favorites.
2. Coaches that are experienced and successful.
3. Coaches that push yet are encouraging, fun yet assertive.
4. Coaches that are no-nonsense straight-shooters.
5. Coaches that ALWAYS demonstrate poise and sportsmanship on the field, despite what the opponent's coaches display.
6. Coaches that meet the goals of the organization.
7. Players that work hard and play hard.
8. Players that work and communicate as a team.
9. Players that act like best buddies and encourage one another.
10. Parents that respect the organization, the sport, the teams, the coaches, the umps, the players, other parents, and the opponent.
11. Management that communicates clearly and plans well.
12. And last, given all the above, $$$. It's not cheap but to us, it is definitely worth every cent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie