What are Umps Seeing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
I agree with this, to a certain extent. An umpire's strike zone should be different for an eight year old starting out than it is for a sixteen year old who has been pitching for six years. 100%. We have a much bigger strike zone for our subbies kids. But it starts getting tighter the better (usually faster) the pitcher is)

Where I don't agree it should be different is when you have a pitcher who has pitched for six years playing a pitcher who has just started. You can't have a different strike zone in the same game. It has to stay the same.

I agree that the strike zone of a 10u vs a 16u pitcher should be different. What I don't agree with and what the ump was refering to ....both pitchers 10u in the same game he had 2 different strike zones.

Jul 21, 2008
I believe a strike zone should be adjusted to the pitcher's abilities. The worst games are those with extremely tight strike zones. The batters go up looking to walk, the fielders fall asleep, and the natives in the stands and dugouts get restless. Make the hitters swing the bat! Keep the game moving!

Agreed about large strike zone at younger age groups.....but not different for each pitcher

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I guess it's a good thing everyone can vent here regarding the
Umpire Strike Zone. We can not change the interpretation of balls
and strikes from our keyboards nor can we do it inside the fences.
I have seen plenty of coaches ask about strike zone and not have
favorable results

Mar 13, 2010
I guess it's a good thing everyone can vent here regarding the
Umpire Strike Zone. We can not change the interpretation of balls
and strikes from our keyboards nor can we do it inside the fences.
I have seen plenty of coaches ask about strike zone and not have
favorable results
Best post yet!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I have seen this rant dozens of times over the course of my membership
on the forum. It has become entertainment reading the posts and wondering
how many coaches have actually questioned not only balls and strikes,
but judgement calls period! There is not a game that goes by that I don't
have a parent get riled up over a call that is made, wondering why I don't
charge out of the dugout yelling and screaming. I explain to them, that it is only
calls that are a rules interpretation that are worth the breath, Many folks plain do not
understand the meaning of 'judgement call' in this game

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I have seen this rant dozens of times over the course of my membership
on the forum. It has become entertainment reading the posts and wondering
how many coaches have actually questioned not only balls and strikes,
but judgement calls period! There is not a game that goes by that I don't
have a parent get riled up over a call that is made, wondering why I don't
charge out of the dugout yelling and screaming. I explain to them, that it is only
calls that are a rules interpretation that are worth the breath, Many folks plain do not
understand the meaning of 'judgement call' in this game

You're correct about 'questioning' calls in the sense that you will never get an umpire to change a call by 'charging out of the dugout yelling and screaming' no matter how bad a call it was. However, umpires take great pride in getting every call correct, so they will appeal a call to the other ump if they think there is a chance they got it wrong. Have you never asked the plate ump to check with the base ump on a check swing? Was that not a judgement call? How about the base ump being on the other side of the infield, by SS position, and first base pulls her foot off 1st streatching for a throw? If your runner is called out because he couldn't see it, would you not ask him if he would mind getting help from the plate ump?

I have found that umpires are more than willing to make sure they make the right calls, and as long as you treat them with respect they will treat you the same. There is no requirement that umps appeal calls, so being calm and polite goes a long ways.

And by the way, don't try to appeal every play that doesn't go your way, or they would get tired of it, as I said, they don't have to do it. And NEVER question the strike zone, they may interprate that as arguing and toss you out of the game.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
If umpires would simply call the "book" strike zone, there would be no need for adjusting to the ability of the pitcher. The strike zone is already "adjustable" based on the size/height of the hitter.

Pitchers are penalized in not getting the high strike by those blues that don't call anything above the belt, meaning the umpires - whether intentional or not - are favoring the hitters. Why, when the umpire are supposed to be the unbiased third party that makes sure both sides play by the rules?

My biggest beef is not the size of the strike zone but the horrible inconsistency in calling the pitches on the corners for any girl not in high school. It's pretty common in my area to hear "girls don't learn to pitch until high school". So when you do get that 11-13 year old that can consistently hit those corners, she doesn't get the calls, and even the hitters know it was a strike and are suprised they get another pitch, it's infuriating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach