What are the absolutes of pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
I cannot argue with greenmonsters, it will be interesting to see the responses.

Everything I can think of is not an absolute or necessarily desired all the time in some situations.

Dec 16, 2010
First of all, we all know that grip, stance, posture, wind-up/load and leg drive all contribute to pitching a softball. IMO, none of these are on my list of "absolutes". They are "styles". That is, not every high level pitcher uses exactly the same style any of the above listed requisites of pitching.

The ONLY thing I view as an absolute in pitching is Internal Rotation. Which is why I focus on it so much. If I can teach a young lady/man to "throw" a softball correctly and efficiently, and literally "play catch throwing underhand" as naturally as they would overhand, my job becomes so much easier when it comes to adding "style".

From the Sticky above, "I/R in the Classroom"

Feb 17, 2014
Learn how to throw efficiently and effectively by getting ahead in the count early and getting batters out.
The fewer batters a pitcher faces or pitches thrown each inning the better. Fewer pitches equal less energy
expended equals a more rested pitcher.

I don't know how many games I have seen pitchers let one call on a ball/strike or an error lead to a big inning
by the other team in which the pitcher throws 30 or more pitches. Can't last long at that rate.

Thanks for all the great answers .....but I was talking more about certain positions you need to be in at certain points in the pitching motion. I know from reading Java Source's post on the pitching motion that there isn't exact positions for everything but there has to be some absolute positions that all great pitchers get to during the swing....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd