What are benefits of hitting ball sideways off a tee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
yeah the basketball/soccer ball drill isn't for every kid. DD#1 benefited greatly from it. DD#2 only hurt her wrists when she did it.
I do it off a tee, I think tossing creates more stress on a little body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Texas Elite 8U Gets Ready - YouTube
Here it is. fast forward to 3:35. This is a young team. I coach 14 - 16 year olds but I am wondering if there is any benefit to this drill.

The drill is also known as the "Belly Button Drill" ......

Can also be performed live ....

n5ik9c.gif

2wrhf9w.gif

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well, I'm learning something here. ... I'd be afraid that it would promote casting or hitting the ball with arms extended. I've seen girls who would hit 8 foul balls down the LF line every tournament.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The drill is also known as the "Belly Button Drill" ......

Can also be performed live ....

n5ik9c.gif

2wrhf9w.gif

FFS, thanks for posting these videos. I had a young man one year who needed this drill to have the light bulb go off. He could not get enough of this drill. For my dd, we do this as part of a "progression drill." I throw a pitch at her front hip and she blast it, then one dead center of the plate which she is to allow to get deeper and then one away which she allows the ball to get even deeper (kind of in the position Crystal Bustos is in in that video often posted) where she drives it oppo.

Jul 10, 2013
I believe it is for driving hips and shoulder through, The boys use a drill like this only they stand facing the pitcher ( bunt stance ) and we throw soft toss from in front of them. The drill is designed to make the boys use there hips and shoulders to hit the ball. What you are looking for is to show the kids where there power comes from.

Feb 8, 2009
I don't like the basketball drill, becausemthe girls aren't strong enough to finish correctly. I don't like the drill in the video for the same reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish