what am I missing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
I was always under the impression that it was an honor to have the varsity coach ask you to tryout for the team. this is my 2nd yr coaching at V level. Last yr i went to as many mod and jv games as i could to see what future was looking like. I got other coaches opinions, talked to travel teams, talked to the players and their parents just to get a good feel for the future of the program. I had 3 girls in particular that i wanted to tryout for Varsity(2 sophmores and 1 freshman). I spoke to 2 of them directly at parent mtg with their parents about trying out. They said they would! The next day Im informed that none of the 3 want to try out. So what am i missing? Yes, Im alittle upset!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Some girls just simply are not playing HS ball, anymore. They play travel and are looking for a scholarship, that way. Good luck.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
What I've seen in this situation is the younger player and parents opting to play JV or middle school, vs. sitting the bench at the varsity level and playing just a little bit, and not getting very many at bats or game action.

The other thing I've seen in this situation is the younger player and parent opting to play their preferred position at the lower level, vs. playing a secondary position at the varsity level because of the need. I've seen this especially with pitchers who if they stay down will pitch a lot, vs if they move up, they'll play in the field because the varsity already has good pitching but a need for a position player.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It could be a lot of things, but I would consider the social aspect. We had a situation at our HS this year with basketball. Some girls did not want to play with the Varsity because the team chemistry was (is) terrible. The coach yells a lot but no one listens to him, certain girls are not nice to the ones who play the same position and its a mess. Our JV team would scrimmage the varsity and almost beat them, in a reffed game they might have been able to win. The JV coaches are great coaches and the V coach is not. 2 girls flat out refused to play on V, not turned down a tryout, but turned down the varsity position to stay with JV.

Not saying its you as the coach, although it is part of it in our basketball program. but how are the younger girls treated by the returning upper classmen?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At our HS all of the girls come to one tryout and the varsity coach, who is responsible for JV and Varsity teams, decides which girls will play on which team. Some girls "float" between varsity and JV, but they are limited to a total of 25 games total (JV + varsity). If a parent or player is worried about the amount of playing time they will get on varsity, they could ask to do both.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Another thing to consider would be if the girls you invited to try out for varsity have friends who will be playing JV. Now that scholarships come from TB, HS ball is more about having fun, and some girls would rather be with their friends. I am learning that lesson right now the hard way. My DD is playing "lite" travel volleyball, but she is a very good player (girls who can throw softballs overhand make great servers in volleyball!) and was moved up onto the varsity team (as an 8th grader) and she is not happy because she does not have any friends on the team and none of the other girls on the team are interested in socializing with her.

Feb 12, 2013
the 2 sophmores both played for me on varsity in the playoffs last season as fr. I have 5 srs and 0 jrs, the rest are underclassmen. I guess whats bothering me is the fact that they signed up for var, and then didnt show wthout letting me know of their decision. made aware in an email from jv coach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Have you asked the girls? I would find out what is going on...there are so many possibilities it is hard to make even a guess.

Feb 12, 2013
My plan tomorrow is to be at jv practice, to discuss with the players and if necessary the parents. I will touch base with parents regardless of their decision. I will need to see if there is any one else remotely close to movin up. Currently I have 10 girls, one of which hasnt played much. When i say hasnt played much, i mean hasnt played much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan