What age do you have to commit/choose pitching or catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
DD was on an A team in 10U where the catcher was also a great pitcher. This girl was great at everything, and she is a true lefty. Short like DD but could jump high and caught almost everything. When entering 1st year 12U, she had to pick between catching and pitching, and she chose catching.

For 12U playing at a high level, she had to pick. With batting, fielding, and catching lessons, she didn't have much time for pitching lessons.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And the opposite perspective :)

Eventually,
The batters on the other team will decide wether she is a pitcher or not.
&
The runners on the other team will decide if she's a catcher or not.

Btw think its great to have skills. Know of multiple sport athletes who can and do very well.
However there is the element of not injuring the pitcher.
Catchers may get rest games or not run for themselves in games. However not much can be done otherwise to take out some inherent danger in catching.
So the real question becomes
How many coaches are willing to risk one of the pitchers playing a more inherently dangerous position.

Even if she can play both,
Finding a competitive coach/team who will allow that may be more difficult than which position she can play best.

Jun 26, 2019
Let her decide how she wants to split her practice time. Also, it doesn’t have to be 50-50 and doesn’t have to be all or nothing, she can be anywhere in between. She doesn’t ever have to choose and totally stop the other, but I am guessing she will.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Let her decide how she wants to split her practice time. Also, it doesn’t have to be 50-50 and doesn’t have to be all or nothing, she can be anywhere in between. She doesn’t ever have to choose and totally stop the other, but I am guessing she will.

Overall I agree with this. But it’s really dependent on the level of play. The lower the level the easier this is. The higher the level the harder it is.

At 12u….let her do both. But as she enters 14u (and wants to play a higher level) the decision will ultimately get made for her. She will either want to dedicate time to one or she won’t.

Jul 1, 2020
You DD and mine seem like long lost twins. Both lefties and both pitch and catch/1B. But, my DD was the opposite in that she was primarily the main pitcher for her teams from 8u to 12u. She played catcher as well, but she didn't really stand out as a catcher until 2nd year 10u. Catching for her just seemed to be more "fun" and fits her temperament more than pitching did. She would get ticked off and let her emotions get to her if there was a bad call or things didn't go right on the mound. She just felt more "comfortable" at catcher.

So, when do they have to "choose"? I think the nature of the position usually eventually chooses the player or at least makes it clear which they are best suited for. If she enjoys doing both still...let it ride! Try to enjoy it...although we all know how stressful those positions are.

But, as others said and I agree. Working on being a top pitcher and top catcher at the same time is tough. The amount of work and reps the body has to do is a tall task to be great at both as they get older.

As a Dad/Coach..I'm A-OK with her choice to be catcher only. MUCH less stressful. I loved watching her pitch....but DAMN it stressed me and my wife out like no other! o_O

Exactly! Currently she is working hard on pitching but is way more comfortable and has more fun behind the plate. Most of what I'm reading is that one of the positions will take center or fade heading into 14U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi