What age do you have to commit/choose pitching or catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2020
My DD plays 12U is left handed and previously was catching. She now is working on pitching but was asked to catch again. She really enjoys both and first base /outfield.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The more you're able to do, the more valuable of a player you are. Lefties can be limited in the positions that some coaches will let them play, so I wouldn't be giving up anything just yet.

The older age groups of FP softball are littered with kids who pitched at some point, my DD included. I'd explore the pitching until you determine whether your DD is a pitcher while still being able to occassionally catch. If she hasn't cracked the lineup somewhere as a regular pitcher by 14U, it probably won't happen. Even if she's pitching regularly, that doesn't mean that she can't soak up some innings behind the plate when needed.

Jul 1, 2020
The more you're able to do, the more valuable of a player you are. Lefties can be limited in the positions that some coaches will let them play, so I wouldn't be giving up anything just yet.

The older age groups of FP softball are littered with kids who pitched at some point, my DD included. I'd explore the pitching until you determine whether your DD is a pitcher while still being able to occassionally catch. If she hasn't cracked the lineup somewhere as a regular pitcher by 14U, it probably won't happen. Even if she's pitching regularly, that doesn't mean that she can't soak up some innings behind the plate when needed.

That makes more sense. Maybe “have to choose” seems harsh. She’s likes being behind the plate too since she likes the action. I have gotten many comments of you have to choose one or can’t be an expert at everything. I don’t really get why she can’t for now, if she’s hustling outfield and working infield it seems ok for a 12 year old

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
She doesn't "have to choose" if someone's going to play her in both spots.

But I do think at some point she'll have to commit to one or the other if she wants to really develop.

There's also this: P and C are both incredibly physically demanding positions. Will she be able to handle catching a game and then pitching the next game? It's one thing to catch an inning in a pinch. Good to be able to do that, I suppose. But it's another for your two positions to be pitcher and catcher.

Jul 1, 2020
She doesn't "have to choose" if someone's going to play her in both spots.

But I do think at some point she'll have to commit to one or the other if she wants to really develop.

There's also this: P and C are both incredibly physically demanding positions. Will she be able to handle catching a game and then pitching the next game? It's one thing to catch an inning in a pinch. Good to be able to do that, I suppose. But it's another for your two positions to be pitcher and catcher.

The exhaustion and not being able to pitching after catching is my concern. I just don’t know if we should say no catching to keep pitching open. Or let her have fun and just play. Lefty issues.. her ideal would be working her tail off earning P/1B/OF

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
You DD and mine seem like long lost twins. Both lefties and both pitch and catch/1B. But, my DD was the opposite in that she was primarily the main pitcher for her teams from 8u to 12u. She played catcher as well, but she didn't really stand out as a catcher until 2nd year 10u. Catching for her just seemed to be more "fun" and fits her temperament more than pitching did. She would get ticked off and let her emotions get to her if there was a bad call or things didn't go right on the mound. She just felt more "comfortable" at catcher.

So, when do they have to "choose"? I think the nature of the position usually eventually chooses the player or at least makes it clear which they are best suited for. If she enjoys doing both still...let it ride! Try to enjoy it...although we all know how stressful those positions are.

But, as others said and I agree. Working on being a top pitcher and top catcher at the same time is tough. The amount of work and reps the body has to do is a tall task to be great at both as they get older.

As a Dad/Coach..I'm A-OK with her choice to be catcher only. MUCH less stressful. I loved watching her pitch....but DAMN it stressed me and my wife out like no other! o_O

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As others have stated, there's no need to rush the decision. Most pitchers quit pitching by the end of second year 14U for a variety of reasons. If your DD hasn't become a regular for her team by that age, then you'll have your answer as I doubt she'll want to continue to put in the hard work necessary without seeing the rewards. Thus, the decision will be made at that time.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
A lot may depend on the level of ball you are playing, but I would say that if you have not developed consistent command, an off speed pitch, and at least competitive velocity by 14U (and definitely by 2nd year 14U), then a girl’s days pitching are numbered. You simply won’t get circle time on stronger teams, which prevents you from getting the development you really need in game, pressure situations to help drive further improvement. I think, too, by that time, girls figure out if they really want the additional work and pressure of pitching. When it’s going good it’s great, when it’s going poorly (as it always does at some point), it’s not a lot of fun.

Just had a recent example of this: Head coach’s daughter on our current travel team (14U moving up to 16U in fall). Pitching since at least 10U. Throws hard for her size, but developed mechanical flaws over time that were never addressed. This affected her control of the ball. She was constantly battling pitching-related aches and pains and clear she was not enjoying it, despite dad pressing her to do it. She finally convinced him to let her stop. She’s a very good 3B and power hitter. She will end up contributing more to the team in those roles and she seems happier. So, as mentioned above, some of this sorts itself out.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Read this post as a question on goals. Which can only be defined by the individual.
My suggestion,
Perhaps look at her current performance, then go watch the same age bracket performance at the 'top tier'. Then go watch 14u nationals 'top tier' teams and *Experience seeing the differences!
Helps define~
Where you are now. to decide,
Where do you want to be?
Just participate, or develop to get better.

Say this because~
1. There are different talent levels to play in all age brackets.
Where any performance can fit in at some level, but not the next level.
2. Remember in the long run, young raw talent is usually not enough when up against dedicated students of the game.
3. Time on the clock is the same for everyone. We all get the same hours in the day not more, not less. No-one can create more time, when time has passed.
*Hitting weekly also takes time.

Will add this
Generally finding out about body fatigue symptoms happen when the pain shows up. At that point, doing nothing for weeks while recuperating, usually will help make future decisions. ;)

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First year high-school/2nd year 14U - and not because she might not develop as a pitcher or catcher - but 100% because it becomes more and more physically demanding to do both especially if you are to the higher levels of play where there are fewer and fewer easy opponents/rest games.

Especially pitching - after pitching a game in HS age divisions, you need some level of recovery so you can pitch again. Going out and catching isn't that. Catching just fatigues your legs especially hard.

When DD was in travel she would start a game pitching, DP after the game after pitching and then play in the field the third game (while being ready to be pitching relief in the 2 games she didn't start). In college she is starting one game pitching and playing the field the next - but they don't have 6-10 game weekends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00