wearing soccer cleats for softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
They work, but remember that baseball/softball cleat patterns are designed for infield clay. Soccer cleats are designed to be used on grass.

You can play softball with a baseball bat too, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They work, but remember that baseball/softball cleat patterns are designed for infield clay. Soccer cleats are designed to be used on grass.

You can play softball with a baseball bat too, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

-W

Until the ump tosses the kid and the coach out of the game for using an illegal bat.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Unless metal spikes were an option, I always preferred plastic soccer cleats over plastic BB cleats due to comfort, fit, and weight.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Can You Wear Soccer Cleats For Softball? | LIVESTRONG.COM My dd plays both and I knew I had read something about this subject. Here it is. It has more to do with the front spike and hard surfaces, like clay that we play on in this area. She loves her metal spikes for that reason. Plus the person that talked about ankle support was correct. If you watch kids that play soccer, almost 50% plus are wearing some type of ankle support under the shoe. My dd does, but doesn't in softball. There isn't any support on the soccer shoes, because they serve a different function.

Jan 30, 2010
Soccer cleats do not have the front tip spike as do the base/softball cleats which is needed for that push off when running.
It is a safety issue in soccer when using base/softball cleats.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ

-W

My DD has always insisted on wearing soccer cleats when she plays softball. She says the soccer cleats are lighter, and she can run faster in them. I can't really argue with her, since she was the fastest player on her TB team this past season. My DD plays outfield, and wearing the soccer cleats she is definitely fast in the grass.

I can see theoretically why softball cleats should be better for baserunning because of the front tip spike. From a practical perspective, however, wearing soccer cleats has never seemed to hamper my DD's baserunning. This past season, she scored from first base on a single hit to the outfield. She was still burning up the base path even without the front tip spike, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Sep 1, 2011
I believe the difference between soccer and softball cleats are the cleat at the very front of the toe. Softball has one and soccer does not. The reason being is if there was a cleat at the very front of the toe in soccer there would be a good chance of catching the toe in the turf. Whereby, the cleat at the tip of the toe in softball gives the ability to dig in to the dirt and gain better traction/explosion, especially while on base. That tip of the toe cleat will give them a little more push off the ground as the foot pushes off. The difference would probably not matter at all for a pitcher while pitching, but, if she is running the bases there could be a difference.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Why not wear them?Because scoccer is evil
My feelings exactly. It was the first sport that started making exclusive demands on kids in my area. 12U kids being forced to decide the evil sport or nothing. We lost several SB and BB players to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG