We didn't get out of an innning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
That is not the interpretation. No more so than calling interference by a retired runner merely because of the presence of the runner the second the out is recorded. It works both ways. Unfortunately, too make umpires are obstruction happy and usually at the wrong time.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Well, thanks all I think I understand the rule better now. By chance the coach of one of the teams we played in a tournament this weekend is a national level ASA umpire who has many years of experience at the nationals level. He said they were looking at that rule and I think he said something about looking at case studies of many different scenarios and how it is being applied in real games.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, thanks all I think I understand the rule better now. By chance the coach of one of the teams we played in a tournament this weekend is a national level ASA umpire who has many years of experience at the nationals level. He said they were looking at that rule and I think he said something about looking at case studies of many different scenarios and how it is being applied in real games.

"They" can look all they want, umpires do not have the authority or power to make or change rules. There really isn't anything wrong with the rule. May be problems with umpire overthinking it, underthinking it or just "thinking" period, but any umpire getting the proper instruction wouldn't have a problem with this.

As was pointed out in this thread, very few rules stand alone. Many are reliant on others for definition and clarification and then there are interpretations on how to read parts that some believe to be ambiguous. The instruction is there and if an umpire wants it, s/he can get it. The biggest problem is when you have someone teaching umpires that does not attend the appropriate clinics or pay attention to the info offered or just believes s/he has been in the game longer than God and s/he knows better than any computer or youngster. Not an exaggeration, I have witnessed this first hand and it is deplorable because it is the umpire, not the instructor who had their feet held to the fire.

BTW, I am a long time umpire with plenty of national experience including that of a UIC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45