Wayne State University, winter clinics (Michigan)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Anyone here been to one? Or have sent your daughter to one?

I am planning on bringing my DD to the 4 week pitching clinic. Any experience? Good or bad.

Nov 8, 2010
I have not had eather dd go to this one. Is there a pirticular reason for looking at this one? Don't missunderstand, I'm sure it is good. The one big one is U of M (1 week) the girls stay and have alot of fun aswell.
How old is dd? If she is younger than I say do it.
The problem is you don't want 2 or 3 coaches telling her what she needs to fix. Need to find one good coach, you each like and stick to his or her style. Is she working with someone now? If she is really serious and you too (just how serious is she?), remember your footing the bill. I would get her in at Total sports in wixom. If she is young, start with Jess W. If she has pitched at least 3 years and has good speed and control then have her see Charles.

NOTE: This is a huge National board.
I would put your question or post on eather MLive or Michigan fastpitch. They are local boards and as with the smaller local school WSU, you will get several persons responce from our area. Just a suggestion.

If you want Drop me a line and I can help you out with some info. There is a couple of other people I know of. Really depends on her, and what you and her want out of this.
Good luck. 734-516-0727
James

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have not had eather dd go to this one. Is there a pirticular reason for looking at this one? Don't missunderstand, I'm sure it is good. The one big one is U of M (1 week) the girls stay and have alot of fun aswell.
How old is dd? If she is younger than I say do it.
The problem is you don't want 2 or 3 coaches telling her what she needs to fix. Need to find one good coach, you each like and stick to his or her style. Is she working with someone now? If she is really serious and you too (just how serious is she?), remember your footing the bill. I would get her in at Total sports in wixom. If she is young, start with Jess W. If she has pitched at least 3 years and has good speed and control then have her see Charles.

NOTE: This is a huge National board.
I would put your question or post on eather MLive or Michigan fastpitch. They are local boards and as with the smaller local school WSU, you will get several persons responce from our area. Just a suggestion.

If you want Drop me a line and I can help you out with some info. There is a couple of other people I know of. Really depends on her, and what you and her want out of this.
Good luck. 734-516-0727
James

Thanks for the tip on Michigan Fastpicth, I didn't know there was such a website.

My dd is 13, the coach at WSU is letting her into his Varsity session so she will be learning with the older girls. She throws reasonably hard, not sure what her MPH is. She has never been to any PC, so this sort of clinic would be her first taste of actual instruction. We watched some video and learned a few things from the internet and she has gone from there.

This one is a mid winter clinic, its spread out over 4 weekends so its not the same as going to a summer camp.

She is fairly serious about her sports, but she wants to play every sport. Right now she is down to Softball, volleyball and basketball. She is focusing on those as these are the ones she wants to play in High School. She exercises regularly and we pitch in our barn when its not too, too cold and then in another family's heated barn when we can. Another good reason for a mid winter clinic. She can throw without it being cold. Of course volleyball and basketball season at school slows down the pitching, but she picks back up when those seasons are over.

What I want out of this, is for her to have fun and to have an opportunity for success. My view on kids sports is it has to be for her, or its not worth doing.

Nov 8, 2010
I will get way off course with this. but just some notes here. By the way, has anyone said anything about the camp? When is it? I guess I can look it up.

I have two sides of this coin that I fight with, on the 2-3 4 sports thing. And sence I do not have to work today I'm just throwing this stuff out there.
Anyway, This is why I asked what she and you want at this time. Wanted to see where your heads may be at and the level she may want to play at.
There is so much to this and other sports and it seems things get started earlier and earlier, as I have been learning myself. From College info to keeping stats on a dd that I should have started at 10. My 13 and 15 are touring schools together in spring.

I agree, kids should stay active with other sports.
The problem that arises, Many will tell you in this day and age in softball and others at the higher levels that even as early as 12, decisions need to start being made. Especally with a possable good pitcher. I do tend to side, ok, I side with these people on pitching and one daughter of mine.
Here is what happened with me, note; I have never pushed eather of my two older ones. I have 3 dd's, 1 is 16, dances now 6 days a week, loves it and knows nothing else and is not intrested in anything else now. (full ride, I hope)

My 15 y-old 3 sport kid, average to good player. As a freshman lettered on varsity B-ball and softball (so proud). about June past, she decided to commit to only softball (has played Elite only one year). She relized there had to be one focus in order to continue to play at this level and age, (her true love she has found, I hope).

It takes some longer than others.

Now here is where I start taking sides. I do push this one, alot. she is an outstanding s-ball player, elite travel sence 9. My now just turned 13y-old, 3 sport kid, This kid loves all sports and still continues to play in a limited part in v-ball, b-ball on school teams. Softball makes all her decisions. She is a pitcher and can play anywhere on the field. She has knowen what she needs to do it seems right from the start. Not to mention she bleeds Maze & Blue, (love it). This kid, just last week missed a b-ball practice to go pitch because she had not throwen in 2 days. (She asked me to skip)
Deciding level of play is everthing in all sports and what the child wants, I agree. But remember as a coach told me a couple years ago, college is right around the corner.
Now that I think of it, is your daughter intrested in travel softball? You said you were not sure her MPH, need to find this out? Can she throw a change and be effictive? Working any other pitch? Can she play any other posions? Will she be playing soccer in spring? I think I have someone that may still have a spot for a #2ish #3 she would get some game time. I have not talked to him in a few weeks but I can look into it if intrested.

I told you I would end up way out there, sorry, I was all over with this post. But there are alot of things us as parents need to be thinking about as I have been finding out.
I think as long as kids are doing sports even as Rec. kids, they'er off the streets and out of trouble wile learning life lessions.
Drop me a line if you want to have her looked at, if he has a spot.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for the insight. A little detail on my DD, she is 13 and in 8th grade. We live in a small town with a travel team associated with the area. The organization's charter limits the players to those who are in the local school district. The teams goal is to develop the girls for HS. Her first season was when she was 8, she played for the 10u team. Last year she was the #1 pitcher on the 12u team. We did OK they won the SMAFF North division. I think she throws hard, and based on what other teams told me they thought so too. She mixes in the occasional change up and is learning a peel drop. We went to a tourney and the other teams coaches gave her the MVP award. So I think she has some talent. She hits the ball, a lot. Not the most power but on base all the time. She loves to catch but didn't get to do it that much last year, when she was 11 she played half the season at SS and the rest behind the plate. Not bad for a lefty. The HS coach wants her to play some tourneys this up coming summer with his 18U team in the outfield. The kid can play ball. She played volleyball for her middle school's 8th grade team, it was her first year playing VB. She was team MVP and was given the Hustle award. The HS basketball coach has invited her to practice with the JV before the middle school BB season starts. She ran hurdles last year, and for not being very fast she did well. She gave up soccer so she could fit in volleyball and track. All while being on Science Olympiad, getting all As and plays first chair sax in the band where she has earned 1st division at solo competitions.

If I wasn't watching it all unfold I wouldn't believe it myself. The kid can do anything she wants to and does it well. The thing is, she wants to do it all, and I want her to do what she wants. She pitches to me about 9 months of the year. Some weeks its once a week and others its 3 times. Depends on the weather and the workload on everything else she does.

I have a son going off to college next year, so I know how fast that happens. And she will go to school, if sports plays into that great. If not then it will still be great.

Ok so that was a long bragging session without any real point. Other then to say thanks for your offer. We are in a travel team now, but not a very high profile one. We asked her (she has been recruited by bigger groups) and she wants to stay and play with her friends. And frankly that makes it easier for us in getting to and from practices and game.

I have heard good things about the camp. Lots of local girls like it, partly because one of the girls from the local HS plays there now. I was worried about which session to put my girl into, but the coach there said she could throw with the older group. So that alleviated my worry about it being too basic. The camp is in January, 4 Sundays in a row. I will let you know how it goes.

Nov 8, 2010
She sounds like a great kid. Let me know about the camp.
I just threw that, want to come out question. I understand, Like I had said it would be a 2ish posion wile playing other spots. The coach finally has a good strong core and wanting more. Spring, If there is a need for a fill in and you have nothing, lol (I meant not much going on) at a weekend and we could use a extra, maybe she can come out for a some games? who knows.
Good luck and have some fun, K.I.T. jblair40@wowway.com

Nov 8, 2010
Everyone is spining off, and thinks they have a better idea. They will have a really good year. (should) my 13 year old will be playing (Part time) with what is now the Mich. Blizzard. A S.E. mich team a spin off of P.C. Pride and a few ***** parents. But he has girls coming in from Kalamazoo, Uitca and some other place far away (want to say Ind. don't quote me), escapes me at the moment. Really good strong core, with 2 that will sit and do fill in on blowouts and pool play. He has 10 or 11 and wants to be at 13 cause of the two sitters. (one is, the managers dd and he is fully aware, don't know the other girl or why she is there) The coaches play to win and will, with most all 13's but 1 14 at this time. They will play only "A" tourney's. How about a catcher. Do you know of a catcher?? he is in need of another #1 want 3 great catchers. This is part of the reason why my dd will fill in. She hates to catch but will do it. Anyway, shoot me a line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd