Watching a one sided chess match

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Sometimes it feels like only one of the two opposing coaches is really there at the field. I was watching a win or go home section game with two teams playing that I have no stake in, bottom of 7th tie game, runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Granted visitor will lose in this situation 99 times out of 100. The visiting coach calls time goes to the mound and the discussion does not include loading the bases to create a force at home. As expected home team bunts and squeezes in the winning run, to add salt to the wound, the throw home would have been in time for a force out, but wasn't quick enough for the catcher to get a tag.

I can't imagine a scenario where you are trying to win that game as the visitor where it does not make sense to fill that base.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
If they are younger than, say, 15, attempting an intentional walk may carry more risk than simply trying to get the out. It's not something pitchers and catchers regularly practice. There are overthrows, illegal pitches, catchers who start outside the box ...

Jul 9, 2009
IL
A lot depends on where you are in the order, how the batters have done in past at bats, has your pitcher been giving up ground balls or fly balls, etc... how good is your first baseman in getting the ball back to home?

Even with out loading the bases, you can still hold the runner at 3rd and not attempt or fake an attempt at 1st. If they hit a deep fly ball, with or without the bases loaded, any decent base running team will tag at 3.

We've had success every year, multiple times, with having more than 1 runner on base, no outs and not giving up a run. Actually it's happened 1 in each of the last 2 weekends.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Section game I'm assuming HS " sectional " playoffs. Loser leave town.

Yea, I'm going to load the bases, nothing else matters than the winning run on 3rd. To me that takes the bunt % down, and that run is going to be earned by a hit or long fly ball.

We had this situation in a HS tourney this year. We up by one, runners on 2nd n 3rd no outs, we home. Coach loaded the bases with IBB. First bunt popped up to the catcher, second bunt popped up to 3rd playing in, 3rd swung away slow roller to pitcher who threw home, BALLGAME.

Nov 29, 2009
catchers who start outside the box

Pretty much impossible in softball. The Catcher Box outside lines are even with the outside lines of the batter's boxes and 10' deep.

You can have your catcher stand behind the opposite batter's box and be legal.

Nov 29, 2009
Watched something similar happen in a Sectional playoff championship game last year. Home team at bat in bottom of 7th, 1 out with runners on 2nd & 3rd and the #3 & #4 hitters due up. Defensive coach does not take the bat out of the hands of the #3 hitter who is hitting a ton all year (eliminating her) by walking her and pitching to the #4 who is also a good hitter, but it sets up the force at home. The #3 ended up hitting one in the gap to win the game.

Jan 15, 2009
Section game I'm assuming HS " sectional " playoffs. Loser leave town.

Correct assumption. Add to that it was Class AAA which is our highest level, so you expect a high level of play and good coaching.

A lot depends on where you are in the order, how the batters have done in past at bats, has your pitcher been giving up ground balls or fly balls, etc... how good is your first baseman in getting the ball back to home?

Even with out loading the bases, you can still hold the runner at 3rd and not attempt or fake an attempt at 1st. If they hit a deep fly ball, with or without the bases loaded, any decent base running team will tag at 3.

We've had success every year, multiple times, with having more than 1 runner on base, no outs and not giving up a run. Actually it's happened 1 in each of the last 2 weekends.

Your pretty much completely missing the point. Middle of the game you have to consider that putting an extra runner on base with no outs could turn a bad inning into a horrific inning, in that situation you can do as you say. Bottom of 7, tie game, you load that base every time because you quite frankly don't give a bleep about the chances of the runner you walk on scoring. You can't check a runner that is squeezing, you can get her out on a tag or a force but she isn't going to turn around and go back to third base because your second baseman tries to look her back, she's already scored. About the only situation I could see not loading the base would be if the runner on third was very slow and the other team couldn't sub her out for a faster baserunner and at sections with the expanded bench that is almost never going to happen..

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Bottom of 7, tie game, you load that base every time because you quite frankly don't give a bleep about the chances of the runner you walk on scoring.

About the only situation I could see not loading the base would be if the runner on third was very slow and the other team couldn't sub her out for a faster baserunner and at sections with the expanded bench that is almost never going to happen..

Which is it?

You're free to believe it’s a given under any circumstance, I just don’t agree with that. That is all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA