Wasn't going to post on Sunday's games but...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
it has been eating me alive and I find posting here helps reduce my softball stress. Played in a 22 team 2 day 16U tournament. On Saturday went 2 - 1 and in Sunday's bracket drew the top team in the tournament. The team was ranked in the top 10 in California and top 25 nationwide. The team played incredible ball. Solid defense and excellent pitching kept the opponent off balance all day. We beat them 2 - 1. The girls were on an incredible high. The next team we faced was simply over matched and we mercy ruled them in the 5th inning.

We were now in the semifinals and facing a team for the first time. Rumors were flying with the girls that this was a daddy ball team. They were overly relaxed and from the time warm-ups started I sensed the girls were not taking this game seriously. Long story short, we got our butts handed to us. 3 errors in the first inning for 3 runs, 4 errors in the second inning for 6 runs, 2 errors in the 3rd inning for another 4 tuns. By the end of the 4th inning it was 16 - 0. Totals? 4 Innings, 12 outs, 10 errors total, 1 hit. The 16 runs against the team in this game was 12 more runs than scored against the entire rest of the tournament.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One22win: "Daddy ball"--a team coached by a Daddy. Generally, the Daddy has constructed the team in order to give his DD a chance to be a star. Thus, the team becomes a showcase for one or two players.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Generally, Daddy's daughter receives preferential treatment, at the cost of other girls. They are allowed to make mistakes that other girls aren't and they bat in the top 4.

Not all mom and dad coaches are like this, though. Some treat their daughters fairly.

SoCAlDad - your team just learned a very valuable lessons. You have to play each game one inning at a time. Just wearing the uniform gets you nothing.

Oct 21, 2009
I know of a couple of Daddy Ball teams but their DDs are the best players and on the team and the team is very good. They do have high turnover each year but they are constantly able to get good players each year and are always hard to beat. WHen it is a Daddyball team and the DD of the coach is not the best player on the team and the coach makes sure no one on the team is better than his DD at her position (usually P) then you have a team you should beat most of the time. One rule I have is never have your daughter play on a team where the coaches' DD plays the same position your DD does.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
We played a 16 team 12u tourney this weekend. Undefeated through bracket. Beat a pretty good "rival" team who came back through loser bracket to championship game. We jumped out to a 4-0 lead and then imploded and lost 6-4. After a good donkey bar-b-Q (butt eating) we won "if" game 8-1.
On a side note, I was accused of "Daddy ball" by my wife! Pulled DD from pitching, assistant put her in left field and brought LF to bench (DD faster, better arm). Wondered if anyone has ever had that happen.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
DD's team is '96/'97 birthdays. They played in their first 16U tournament this weekend. They took a lot of heat from the older teams for being 2 years younger(other than the 1 other '96 team). Out of 23 teams, they finished 3rd and the other '96 team won the whole shooting match. We were very proud of all the girls. For the 5 8th graders on the team, this was their first time in the batter's box against 43' pitching.

Oct 19, 2009
It’s not that all that unusual after beating a good team and playing up to your potential to experience a letdown. You either struggle to beat or even lose to a team you think you should beat easily.

As it’s been said many times it’s not what happens to you it’s how you react to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez