was I right or wrong

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If I'm thinking soccer the very last thought would be sportsmanship; especially if I consider the fans! I can't say I've ever seen what you described.

At all competitive levels of soccer if a player is injured in the play (not half a field back without an influence on the game) the team with the ball will kick it out of bounds. The team who then inbounds the ball will return it to the team who gave up possession. Sometimes by a direct pass, sometimes by kicking it back to the opposing teams goalkeeper and sometimes by passing it in and then kicking it out themselves, depending on where in the field of play the outage occurred. Rarely and by rarely I mean my son's HS team still talks about the time it happened 4 years ago, does the team not give the ball back in such a situation.

I would hate to think that the sportsmanship of some fans would taint the game, because I would have to say some of the things I have seen from some softball fans and coaches would turn me off the game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
BTW to the original question. Technically yes you made a mistake, assuming that the ball wasn't in control at the time. But no you weren't wrong.

Jan 20, 2010
At all competitive levels of soccer if a player is injured in the play (not half a field back without an influence on the game) the team with the ball will kick it out of bounds. The team who then inbounds the ball will return it to the team who gave up possession. Sometimes by a direct pass, sometimes by kicking it back to the opposing teams goalkeeper and sometimes by passing it in and then kicking it out themselves, depending on where in the field of play the outage occurred. Rarely and by rarely I mean my son's HS team still talks about the time it happened 4 years ago, does the team not give the ball back in such a situation.

I would hate to think that the sportsmanship of some fans would taint the game, because I would have to say some of the things I have seen from some softball fans and coaches would turn me off the game.

I think the point was if a team is on a legit scoring chance like a breakaway they will not kick the ball out of bounds until that sequence is over. Same thing probably applies here...if the runner would have scored anyway then send her otherwise I would have held her up.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
BTW to the original question. Technically yes you made a mistake, assuming that the ball wasn't in control at the time. But no you weren't wrong.

I agree, if the game was in progress, you should have sent the runner (but only one for the win, I suppose you could have sent the runner on second as well if the ump didn't call time, but that wouldn't be good sportmanship). Rules are rules, you wouldn't have broken any by sending the runner.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm not going to second guess you on whether you should have sent the batter or not. You were there and we weren't. Either way was the right way for you at that point in time.

I will agree with this however

Sitting in that dugout for this guy is a security blanket so that he doesn't have to be accountable for coaching on the field. JMHO!

If the coach wants to criticize someone else for doing HIS job then he has no business coaching. I can only think of ONE time where I didn't have the head coach on third base. It was when she was six months pregnant at the start of the season. She sat on the bench, the assistant was on third and whoever was on the bench would be on first. That to me is the only acceptable time for the head coach to not be actully coaching.

Dec 28, 2008
Ignoring right/wrong/caring/not caring, unless I'm missing something your runner from third would have only tied the game since you were down by 1. But perhaps your head coach knows that this particular runner is worth double in your league or that the parents/coaches/players on the other team wouldn't have finally woke up and thrown home before your runner who was just heading to second would have been trying to score for the winning run.

Jul 11, 2009
Morally, I think you did the right thing. I watched a game once where a wicked bounce hit the 2nd baseman in the mouth and careemed into the outfield, away from everyone. Girl dropped to her knees crying with a busted lip. 1st base coach stopped runner on 1st and called time, then yelled for other coach to go check his girl.

There was no runner on 3rd when the ball was hit......there was a runner on 2nd and by the time the runner got to 3rd...the screaming had started.

My question is how did batter have time to swing bat, leave batters box from dead start, and have time to collide with whoever at first, fall down and emit screams and runner from 2nd was just getting to 3rd? Maybe it was your fault you lost................. (Just trying to be funny, don't beat me up)

May 8, 2009
Florida
I dont think there reallyis a right or wrong here. I have sent players in these circumstances, and also help up a play when I knew there was a really serious injury. With all that is happening in real time, by the time I have sorted out that the injury is severe, I most likely have sent one on to the next base. Always i have felt bad about not realizing the injury one second faster. What is right is when you take these decisions home, think about them and know you feel right about your decision. You learn from it and store it away for the next time. It sounds like you are good with stoping the play. That was the right decision. What you arent right with is what the HC said. Totally agree with those that said he should have been out there if he didnt want that.

BTW, I have sat in the dugout on games while my coaches have taken the bases or coached 1st while the offense was being called at 3rd. I may not agree with some of the calls at times, but I try to discuss the possibilities.I learn from those moments also. I know I have made my share of mistakes. The reason I do this is also called coaching. I want the coaches to build therir understanding, I coach the girls in the dugout - we talk about stategy, player positioning, whatever. Same on first, different look.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is surprising how complex a simple game is.

The players well being is paramount; I do not care about the result of the game. State championship, I do not care. I have been unfortunate enough to have at least 3 players sent to the emergency room during/ after a game. Stuff happens. 1 an ambulance was called, 1 played the game out, 1 was taken out and went with their parents to the emergency room.

For me the game stops if a player stops playing because a physical issue, I do not care if they are on my team or the other Team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar