Waaaaaay OT...Barbecue Smokers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2012
I use a Big Green Egg - it was expensive, but it lasts virtually for ever and you can cook anything on it from dogs and burgers to Ribs and Pork butt to baked goods like pie, bread and pizza. I have cooked multiple pork butts on it for 30 hours straight without having to open the lid once or do anything to the coals.

cons:
price
the size of the grid might limit your quantities
price

I have the chargriller kamado akorn. It's the poor man's version of the big green egg that you can get at Lowes. It's certainly not the quality of the Egg, but its very versatile. You can smoke low and slow for long cooks or grill a burger or even a pizza at high temps.

The poster above that mentioned the importance of keeping a constant temperature for long periods is exactly right. I had cheap smokers before and was always frustrated with constantly having to monitor the temp and frequently adding charcoal and making adjustments. The kamado types of grills are very easy to use. Just set it and forget it. And they are incredibly efficient with charcoal. I never have to add more even during very long cooks.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have the chargriller kamado akorn. It's the poor man's version of the big green egg that you can get at Lowes. It's certainly not the quality of the Egg, but its very versatile. You can smoke low and slow for long cooks or grill a burger or even a pizza at high temps.

The poster above that mentioned the importance of keeping a constant temperature for long periods is exactly right. I had cheap smokers before and was always frustrated with constantly having to monitor the temp and frequently adding charcoal and making adjustments. The kamado types of grills are very easy to use. Just set it and forget it. And they are incredibly efficient with charcoal. I never have to add more even during very long cooks.

That's why I went with the electric. Throw some water soaked wood chips in the bottom at the beginning and let'er go until it's done.;) I do believe that you get better flavor from charcoal though which is why I have a charcoal grill.

Jul 24, 2013
If you want to go vertical, charcoal and badass, get a weber smokey mountain cooker, you can cook a CRAPLOAD of meat, lots of info on line, and weber quality.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If you want to go vertical, charcoal and badass, get a weber smokey mountain cooker, you can cook a CRAPLOAD of meat, lots of info on line, and weber quality.

Do you have issues with needing to rotate the racks from top to bottom, bottom to top, etc. for balanced heat?

Apr 14, 2014
I have the exact model you are looking at getting. I would highly recommend not getting it. It was my first smoker and while able to produce good results with this smoker, I would go a different route having used this smoker for a little under two years. The biggest issue is the inability to hold a constant temperature over an extended period of time. I've even made several modifications and still have issues. That will be your biggest frustration as a newbie. I would suggest spending a bit more and getting one of the other smokers recommended here. It is really not that difficult to produce some pretty incredible fare once you arm yourself with a little knowledge (lots of good smoker forums out there) and just give it a shot. I'll be replacing mine this year with either a chargriller kamado acorn or weber smoky mountain. I get not wanting to spend the money on something new, but I can almost guarantee that if you go with the one you are looking at, in two years you will have either given up or purchased a better smoker.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I have the exact model you are looking at getting. I would highly recommend not getting it. It was my first smoker and while able to produce good results with this smoker, I would go a different route having used this smoker for a little under two years. The biggest issue is the inability to hold a constant temperature over an extended period of time. I've even made several modifications and still have issues. That will be your biggest frustration as a newbie. I would suggest spending a bit more and getting one of the other smokers recommended here. It is really not that difficult to produce some pretty incredible fare once you arm yourself with a little knowledge (lots of good smoker forums out there) and just give it a shot. I'll be replacing mine this year with either a chargriller kamado acorn or weber smoky mountain. I get not wanting to spend the money on something new, but I can almost guarantee that if you go with the one you are looking at, in two years you will have either given up or purchased a better smoker.

Thank you...I appreciate that. They have a smaller smokey Mountain for $199...maybe I'll go that route. I'm replacing my traditional charcoal grill too...so this is one of the reason's I'm being cost conscience....I'm buying two grills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles