Waaaaaay OT...Barbecue Smokers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
It's kind of ironic that my first post on the site is in regards to smokers.

I'm going to submit my vote for a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. I purchased mine off of Craigslist last summer and I love it. It burns charcoal which allows portability. It also holds temperature great. Weber just made available a smaller, more portable model (14.5"). They also offer larger versions (18.5 and 22.5").

I've also thought about bringing mine along to tournaments and such; the only concern is cooking times for certain foods. A pork butt can take 12 hours, ribs up to 5 or 6. You will be able to cook wings, sausages and burgers in a shorter amount if time (60 - 90 mins).

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Happy Smoking!

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It's kind of ironic that my first post on the site is in regards to smokers.

I'm going to submit my vote for a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. I purchased mine off of Craigslist last summer and I love it. It burns charcoal which allows portability. It also holds temperature great. Weber just made available a smaller, more portable model (14.5"). They also offer larger versions (18.5 and 22.5").

I've also thought about bringing mine along to tournaments and such; the only concern is cooking times for certain foods. A pork butt can take 12 hours, ribs up to 5 or 6. You will be able to cook wings, sausages and burgers in a shorter amount if time (60 - 90 mins).

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Happy Smoking!

Yeah the smokey mountain would actually be my first choice. But this model is only $60, and being a beginner I'd rather start small and affordable till I know what I'm doing.

Apr 8, 2013
Weber Smoky Mountain. $300 for the 18.5", $400 for the 22". I have the 18.5" and can easily cook about 20-30lbs of pork butts on it with no modifications, 4-6 racks of baby backs without a rib rack, or a whole bunch of chicken wings. Fire it up, adjust the vents after it gets up to temp, and walk away for 6-8 hours.

Apr 8, 2013
Yeah the smokey mountain would actually be my first choice. But this model is only $60, and being a beginner I'd rather start small and affordable till I know what I'm doing.

Usually the lower priced ones work great for limited use, but what folks get frustrated with is the inability to hold a temp for a long time. The Weber is so simple in design, yet so effective at holding temps for a long long time. I can put on a pork butt at 10PM at night and sleep while it cooks without worry. Wake up at 8AM and the temp will be pretty dang close to where it was when I went to sleep.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
TJ - No experience in this arena, but just let me know where and when and I will be happy to be the official DFP taster/review poster.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I use a Big Green Egg - it was expensive, but it lasts virtually for ever and you can cook anything on it from dogs and burgers to Ribs and Pork butt to baked goods like pie, bread and pizza. I have cooked multiple pork butts on it for 30 hours straight without having to open the lid once or do anything to the coals.

cons:
price
the size of the grid might limit your quantities
price

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01