Waaaaaay OT...Barbecue Smokers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I’ll try to put a Softball twist on this.:confused:

I am thinking of adding a barbecue smoker to my grill station…you know, for when we have a softball party, or to bring to the Softball League Picnic at the end of the season.

Rather than get a bunch of untrustworthy feedback on retail sites, I thought I’d reach out to all.

I’m leaning towards a vertical smoker, nothing extravagant or too large. I have this one in mind…

Shop Master Forge Smoker 20.25-in H x 19-in W 376-sq in Green Charcoal Vertical Smoker at Lowes.com

FTR I have NEVER smoked (meat) before; but I love grilling and am ready to give it a shot…smoking meat.

Does anyone have one, recommend one, any advice on smokers, speak from experience?

Is it worth it…or will this turn out to be just like our Air Hockey Table…Something I REALLY wanted, use once or twice, and then never again.

Again…it’s for the softball parties!...yeah, yeah, softball parties ;)

[If the Admin feels this post should be deleted, no hard feelings, I understand...doesn't hurt to try and I trust everyone on here]

Thanks,

T

Jun 18, 2010
I use the Smokenator which is an add on attachment to my existing Weber 22" grill.

Advantages:
Not too expensive
Use existing grill

Disadvantages:
Have to tend to the charcoal frequently

smokenator911hj9-300x222.jpg

BigTurkey.gif

Dec 25, 2010
I have a Great Smoky Mountain from Gander Mountain. The purists will knock it cuz its gas but, its easy and its awesome

ETA: its the Smoky Mountain Series, I believe its made by Great Outdoors
I can smoke 8 racks of spares (which are quite a bit larger than baby backs) which comes in handy for softball parties. Once its lit and the temp is set you don't have to adjust it..it holds all day

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I have a brinkman pitmaster have had it for about 10 years. It is awesome. I have used it for beef jerky, the best tri tip in North America and my special "damn, I can't believe a white boy cooked these ribs" ribs. It is the old school type with the smoker attached to the side. It is based on the sideways oil drum type setup so it has that southern rednecky feel to it too, the fact that it is getting rusty just adds to the flavor.

The key to smoking is don't overdo it, you want to get a light smoke flavor on the food without making it taste like you are eating coals.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I have a brinkman pitmaster have had it for about 10 years. It is awesome. I have used it for beef jerky, the best tri tip in North America and my special "damn, I can't believe a white boy cooked these ribs" ribs. It is the old school type with the smoker attached to the side. It is based on the sideways oil drum type setup so it has that southern rednecky feel to it too, the fact that it is getting rusty just adds to the flavor.

The key to smoking is don't overdo it, you want to get a light smoke flavor on the food without making it taste like you are eating coals.

OMG LMAO!!

If I get the sidecar type I'll be sure to wear my Martinsville shirt and STP hat, while drinking a red/white/blue out of Mason Jar whenever I use the thang....it'll be hoot!

Jun 22, 2008
I have a Masterbuilt gas I got from Cabellas. I went with gas so it would be easy to take on camping trips and use away from the house. Im by no means an expert smoker, but I have made some pretty darn good brisket, smoked some chickens, did a turkey, some ribs and salmon. Did a huge brisket for my nieces birthday, smoked it for about 16 hours and it was melt in your mouth tender. In fact most of the people who ate said it was so good they didnt even want bbq sauce on it.

Jun 18, 2010
It is the old school type with the smoker attached to the side. It is based on the sideways oil drum type setup so it has that southern rednecky feel to it too, the fact that it is getting rusty just adds to the flavor.

I think I have an idea of what you're describing

6377.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01