Visiting Pitcher at practice for batting practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I have found an old friend that pitched in the local college to come in and pitch batting practice to my team, 10U. She has only done this 3 times but is willing to come almost anytime I ask.

My assistant who I have handling the batters, expressed concern this last time the pitcher came. She says the girls are up there 'dancing' or bailing out worried about being hit and she isn't sure if we are doing good or bad. The girls said after practice they got hits off her and a few that got hit BY her were kind of proud that they got back in the box.

Our other option is I can pitch close to the correct 10U speed in a sporadic fashion and only accomplish that in practice instead of me being able to work on defense drills. The girls hit off me well - I see it as comfort in the box knowing me but then we don't get anything else accomplished and we are not helping the girls prepare for a game type situation. We also set up a T so the coach can have them work on that first before going into the cage.

She seams to be of the mindset that the girls should do something easier where they are guaranteed to have success and 'pump up' their spirits.

My thoughts are we continue to have the guest pitcher come in with the goal that the girls will continue to work and become more familiar with her pitching but while doing that they learn to adjust and get more of a game like experience while at practice.

Do we keep the guest pitcher and continue challenging the girls or do I pitch and they hit but not against the speed we see in some games?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We have girls throw live pitching to everybatter, only about 6-10 pitches each per week. I think it is very important to hit off tees every bp, and soft toss every bp, but we also live pitch at least every other practice.

Mar 13, 2010
They're jumpy now, but give them a month and they'll be a lot more confident in the batting box.

Oct 19, 2009
What they said. What you're assistant is talking about is false confidence. Make the practice situation more difficult than they are likely to see in games and they'll do better in the games. I also coach 10U and like to bring in 12 and 14U pitchers to face our kids. You are also right in maintaining your ability to organize the practice in a more efficient manner to keep all the kids engaged.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
OK, I'll say it out loud. Shouldn't a college caliber pitcher be able to throw BP without hitting batters?

I would normally say yes with a big BUT - she was a NAIA pitcher 10 years ago and hasn't pitched since. She just started last month after I asked her to come help out. She normally pitches outside but I ask her to come inside also. Plus she is trying to match the speed of 10U and not pitch at her normal cruising speed.

I would guess if she just sat back and pitched she wouldn't come close to the girls but they probably wouldn't come close to hitting her either.

UPDATE - She is going to continue and I think after this weekends hitting by a few more players we are gaining ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32