Video of the half way home drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Dom posted a video of himself performing the drill at BBD.
n5g8z.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I believe/think a hitter starts their 'sequence' from the front toe touch position when the ball is half way home. When the ball is half way home the hitter drops to front heel plant and 'turns the barrel to the ball' and swings.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I think there are different ways and ideas about how to preset yourself before the ball is in the air (ie, I think Tewks wants hitter a bit on their front side and focuses on what is often called the overlap or load in the unload portion of the swing to get the barrel moving). I find that concept a bit harder to explain to hitters, especially at first, so I like to have the girls be in a loaded position so AT MOST they deepen their stretch a little as they wait (kind of simulating what they'd do if they saw a changeup). They are basically at the point right before they'd launch the barrel.

Then, have them see how long they can wait -- even longer than halfway home if possible -- and still do a sudden, tight launch and be able to square the ball. If they "miss" and it goes foul right behind them, that is good. If they pound a pull swing, which they might do at first, that's not good. It's a nice feel drill for playing around and understanding getting as late a launch as possible and as tight a hand pivot point as possible.

Then they should work on moving that feeling into a more "complete" swing sequence.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As with all drills, if you are going to perform a drill, then make sure to understand the intent of the drill. Know the objective and what you wish to extract from the drill.