Video- Lessons from a 10U Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A staggered stance is a stance that a coach would have the catcher get into and IMO is a risk that the coaches have to take. BTW, most of the time I see MLB and college catchers in a stagger stance there is a base runner on st. Was that the case in your situation?

IMO, at HS age and older there are nearly as many or more advanced bases on PB/WP then straight steals unless the catcher has a below average arm. A staggered stance limits blocking and receiving abilities and really doesn't result in an quicker pop time than if proper mechanics are used in the first place. Although the examples are throws to 3B, the following link to a recent NECC blog video is very interesting Are there really shortcuts worth taking while throwing to 3B? | The New England Catching Camp

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
One observation that I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned was her glove location. When her dad showed her this video, it was the first thing she commented on. I have been assured she will be working on setting her target lower in the future.
Which brings up one more lesson... We are all a work in progress. This catcher did not block exactly as she has been taught. But at this early age she knows that she should be blocking! That's outstanding!

At ACC we teach 3 stances, we teach squaring stance to the plate, we teach drop and block, not stab and grab, we teach hand behind the glove with runner on and hand behind the back or leg with no runner on. (Never let the pitcher see your throwing hand unless you are giving signs) We teach the mask stays on. Everything has a purpose. Either for reducing wear and tear on the body, personal safety or efficiency. We will all have opinions on this type of stuff. That's great!

What I like the most in these posts are that there are a lot of folks working with their catchers to improve. When my daughter was younger and we searched for help, we ended up contacting Dave Weaver in New Hampshire! (Today marks one year since Dave's passing. I miss you buddy) We could not find good catching instruction in Kansas City. Now there are folks realizing just how much there is to this position and are working with their kids. Our kids come out the winners and a good many of them will pass on what they have learned....thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06