video camera

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
OK, so there are plenty of OLD threads on this. what's the newest recommendation for softball related video recording?

I would want something for video and analysis and in game footage, preferably with a powerful zoom when being real close to the field is not an option.

What's the deal with the new Sony POV action cams?

any thoughts/recommendations?

thanks, stick

Feb 3, 2011
I recently began filming games with the Air Pro from Ion. Just attach it to the rear fence and it sees the entire field (170-degree view). It has 2 quality modes and both are solid.

It will record at least 2 hours on a single charge and you can attach a USB booster pack (I just attach mine to the laptop) if you need more power.

It does not have a viewfinder, but it's got a great eye. As long as the camera is kept reasonably level, you'll be fine. The edges appear curved in a bit on the video, which is to be expected with the super-wide angle lens as they normally produce a concave effect.

May 22, 2012
thanks for the info MOMO, any sample clips? Ideally I'd like something versatile for usage like you describe (whole field) but also for hand held zooming in type usage.

Feb 3, 2011
[video=youtube_share;EJvSlHbpgyc]http://youtu.be/EJvSlHbpgyc[/video]

The raw video looks really good, better than this clip. If you're seeing a sort of greyish tint (over-contrast), it's something that was added by my editing software when I cut the clip down to this length.

You can set your YouTube viewer on 1080p and watch this in full-screen size.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
It is my opinion that the GoPro Hero 3 Black (plus or original) are the gold standard for recording games. Great combination of rugged design to handle the environment as well as quality of video produced. For more information on these cameras, as well as recommended additional accessories (cases, batteries, etc) check out the equipment link on our website:
Http://www.LynkSpyder.com/equipment.html

Nov 1, 2008
I haven't tried using mine for pitching or hitting analysis yet, but I'm confident it would do a great job. The mp4 video in 1080/60 fps looks very clear in frame by frame shots pulled from the video. It does a great job filming games. I've been filming all our highschool games this year. Any time our girls make a great play I pull that clip and email it to my wife so she can post it on Facebook for them. They LOVE watching their own homers.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Is the GoPro good enough for slow motion analysis?

Yes, we often record games with a GoPro mounted behind the plate, set to wide and record the entire field. We mount a second GoPro set to narrow, pointed directly at the field. This second camera typically is set to 60 or more frames per second. Additionally, we sometime use the second camera, mounted on the side fence and pointed at the batter for capturing video for swing analysis.

Here's a shot of one of my customers' setups using dual cameras, setup as mentioned above:
dual.jpg

PS, Here is a video (which was only recorded at 30 FPS, so slow motion will be jittery). The quality of the GoPro allows for some digital zooming in post:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom