Verbal offers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
That's what Im worried about. I don't want them writing her off. But were on the clock, and I want to give those schools a chance on the other hand. We do have our travel ball coach talking to them. I think the message might be getting to them from him.

Mar 26, 2013
Football and basketball operate differently where verbals are like dating. Consequently, schools make more verbals than spots because some will decommit at the end. It's like hotels overbooking to minimize empty rooms due to cancellations.

Softball verbals are more like being engaged. Signing the NLI is getting married.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
That's what Im worried about. I don't want them writing her off. But were on the clock, and I want to give those schools a chance on the other hand. We do have our travel ball coach talking to them. I think the message might be getting to them from him.
You said you're looking at the other schools and you're talking to them. How much interest have the other schools shown in DD? Have they verballed any 2019s yet? Do they usually make offers to sophs or do they recruit later? Which school is her top choice?

Hopefully your TB coach is experienced at it and can deliver the message with some tact. Primary message should be she has an offer and wants to let them know in case they're considering making one. Simply hitting them up for a better offer might turn them off. Showing strong interest in their schools is a plus and without displaying reluctance on the offer in hand is important in case word gets back.

Percentages are better than amounts since costs will likely rise. It is very important to clarify whether the percentage is for everything allowed - tuition, room & board, books and possibly "other expenses related to attendance" - or only some.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My daughter just recently got an offer from a school she likes. She's a sophomore pitcher. Coach just told me were offering her a percentage. Were happy with the percentage. Is that the way it works? They verbally say they're going to give that much, with nothing in writing. We got a couple of other schools were looking at. We haven't got a deadline from the school that offered.

Is it crazy to call the two other schools that are recruiting and say were now on a timeline from the other schools. Those other schools haven't made an offer.

Its crazy that you go to camps and show cases hoping for an offer, and when you get one, there's so much pressure on a sophomore kid to make a decision.

Ask the coaches to calculate your anticipated out-of-pocket expenses and use those numbers to compare offers. Coaches can play games on what or what is not covered if they just give you a percentage.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Ask the coaches to calculate your anticipated out-of-pocket expenses and use those numbers to compare offers. Coaches can play games on what or what is not covered if they just give you a percentage.

Hit the nail on the head with this advice. You should leave knowing pretty close to what you will need to cover after the athletic scholarship.

Mar 26, 2013
Coaches will use different methods, including playing games, "to calculate your anticipated out-of-pocket expenses." Some may make overly optimistic estimates on non-athletic aid and some may include loans. I don't think there's any way around performing your own due diligence.

Hit the nail on the head with this advice. You should leave knowing pretty close to what you will need to cover after the athletic scholarship.
Ideally yes, however costs will go up for a 2019 over the next 2-6 years. It's very hard to predict since some schools regularly make smaller annual increases that add up over time and some infrequently make larger increases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi