USSSA Bat Mark - Effective Jan 1, 2014

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The difference is ASA allows almost all the previously certified bats (i.e. 2000 and 2004) as opposed to USSSA banning them.

Exactly. It's a pure money grab, just like the bat warmer USSSA approved a few years ago. Core, you're in PA - you can't possibly think playing U-trip in the older age groups is worth it??! At 10U and 12U, it's the new rec league, but for the older players, I see no reason to waste my time or money.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
ASA new stamp?

Do you mean the one on slow pitch bats? I don't think there is a new stamp for fastpitch.

All I meant was ASA is in the process. Not hard to figure out they are working towards something and ASA has not been shy about bans previously. It wont happen now or next year, but don't be shocked when it happens.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Exactly. It's a pure money grab, just like the bat warmer USSSA approved a few years ago. Core, you're in PA - you can't possibly think playing U-trip in the older age groups is worth it??! At 10U and 12U, it's the new rec league, but for the older players, I see no reason to waste my time or money.

I never said it is or not worth it, its up to the player/parents. Why I said it that way was, I have no doubt ASA will be doing something similar at some point down the road. Is the reaction going to be the same if/when they do something similar?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
I never said it is or not worth it, its up to the player/parents. Why I said it that way was, I have no doubt ASA will be doing something similar at some point down the road. Is the reaction going to be the same if/when they do something similar?

Given that PONY and the other ABC organizations generally use the ASA guidelines, I assume that when ASA changes, so will the other organizations, in which case my players would have no choice but to buy a new bat (assuming that ASA does not grandfather the older bats like DD's 2004 RockeTech). At this point, I have other choices than to play tournaments sanctioned by U-trip, and the competition will generally be much better.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I believe I read on here a while back that someone heard ASA would just wait until all of the old bats were just phased out due to poor condition / failing. It's amazing how many 06-08 Eastons I still see in 12u. I guess the smaller bats don't get the abuse.

Dec 11, 2010
2. For USSSA Fastpitch Softball Only. As a result of manufacturing delays in fastpitch softball bats with the new USSSA mark on the taper, USSSA has extended the grandfather period for using old mark (“USSSA 1.20 BPF”) from January 1, 2014 to January 1, 2015. This extension applies only to USSSA Fastpitch sanctioned play and does not apply to USSSA Slow Pitch sanctioned play.

Does this mean we DO NOT YET have to have the new stamp? I cannot find this on the USSSA website, Knights, where did you find this?

Mar 26, 2013
All I meant was ASA is in the process. Not hard to figure out they are working towards something and ASA has not been shy about bans previously. It wont happen now or next year, but don't be shocked when it happens.
I will be shocked if it happens with the 2013 mark for 2 reasons.

1. ASA has never banned ALL bats for a specific standard - only specific models that were initially certified, but later found to not meet the standard. The broadest ban they've ever done was titanium bats.

2. My understanding of the new 2013 standard is it actually allows hotter bats. If so, there is no reason to ban bats that met a more restrictive standard.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

1. ASA has never banned ALL bats for a specific standard - only specific models that were initially certified, but later found to not meet the standard. The broadest ban they've ever done was titanium bats.

2. My understanding of the new 2013 standard is it actually allows hotter bats. If so, there is no reason to ban bats that met a more restrictive standard.

How far back are you researching when you say ASA hasn't done that?

We will see, I have no doubt it will happen. I would be shocked if it doesn't.
But we have a while to wait and see

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Given that PONY and the other ABC organizations generally use the ASA guidelines, I assume that when ASA changes, so will the other organizations, in which case my players would have no choice but to buy a new bat (assuming that ASA does not grandfather the older bats like DD's 2004 RockeTech). At this point, I have other choices than to play tournaments sanctioned by U-trip, and the competition will generally be much better.

Yup, players will buy a new bat and remain playing.

Mar 26, 2013

How far back are you researching when you say ASA hasn't done that?
The 2000 standard was the beginning of ASA's certification program per ASA Bat Certification FAQs.

Q: When did the ASA Bat Certification Program begin?

A: ASA started offering standard contracts to bat manufacturers in 1999, and the rule requiring certification marks on bats became effective January 1, 2000. The ASA Bat Performance Standard has been in place since 2000.

We will see, I have no doubt it will happen. I would be shocked if it doesn't.
But we have a while to wait and see
We definitely have to wait to see whether they extend the new 2013 standard to Girls' FP, but it seems likely since they've already done it for Men's and Boys' FP.

Reason #3 is ASA has not banned any bats in conjunction with the rollout of the 2013 standard - all they've done is limit which divisions can use the new 2013 mark bats.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles