using wrist bands for pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
So if the pitcher calls out a number from her wristband, would she have to proclaim that number prior to stepping to the pitching plate, or could she do it once she steps to the plate?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I've used these over the last four years and absolutely love them.

I've a random number generator script I wrote... outputs the range chosen randomly to an excel spreadsheet. No two are ever the same... and I'll generate four cards per game/per pitcher as well as my master sheets in less than 10 seconds... and I use perforated card stock to make pulling them off the sheets quicker. My entire team takes the signal... hell, at times I'll just say the numbers out loud... with zero worries of someone figuring out the sequence, because it never appears more than once. My defense really benefits from knowing the call... which is a huge benefit more coaches should utilize, IMO. Have them for my offense, too. Every once in awhile we'll 'accidently' leave a card in the dugout after a game... and get a bunch of chuckles at the coach who finds it and thinks he/she knows all the calls when we face them later. There's 150 offensive and defensive plays per card... all randomly generated... and there's more than pitch type/locations on there, too...

Learning the cards is so much simpler... and really helps maximize practice time as well as the time between calls and misreads in games. Switching out cards takes 10 seconds... and we all put our hands (bands) in the middle... with each player checking their teammate to their right... then say a little diddy as we take the field.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've used these over the last four years and absolutely love them.

I've a random number generator script I wrote... outputs the range chosen randomly to an excel spreadsheet. No two are ever the same... and I'll generate four cards per game/per pitcher as well as my master sheets in less than 10 seconds... and I use perforated card stock to make pulling them off the sheets quicker. My entire team takes the signal... hell, at times I'll just say the numbers out loud... with zero worries of someone figuring out the sequence, because it never appears more than once. My defense really benefits from knowing the call... which is a huge benefit more coaches should utilize, IMO. Have them for my offense, too. Every once in awhile we'll 'accidently' leave a card in the dugout after a game... and get a bunch of chuckles at the coach who finds it and thinks he/she knows all the calls when we face them later. There's 150 offensive and defensive plays per card... all randomly generated... and there's more than pitch type/locations on there, too...

Learning the cards is so much simpler... and really helps maximize practice time as well as the time between calls and misreads in games. Switching out cards takes 10 seconds... and we all put our hands (bands) in the middle... with each player checking their teammate to their right... then say a little diddy as we take the field.

I don't know if you saw the earlier post, but just wanted to make sure that you knew that OILF has your system picked....

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the feedback, my DD doesn't have a ton of different pitches just the basics really fastball, curve, and drops, change-up but she is very good at hitting her spots. The reason why we are doing this now a couple of our catchers (13u btw) would get their insides and outsides mixed up, with my DD throwing in a lot of cases the DD is ahead of the batter and the catcher would give a outside call instead of the inside called pitch and now and then a batter would get ahold of the ball when they shouldn't of. so I figured with this system there shouldn't be any mix-ups I just made the cards like a grid with 2 complete sets of #s first 2 #s represent the row going across and the third # representing the row going down with the 2nd set of #s being the complete opposite of the top on the grid. and for us coaches I laminated a sheet of paper with the breakdown of all the pitches and their #'s. so for ex if ya wanted fastball high and inside you look on the sheet for it and the #s 122, & 411 are that pitch either one can be called. I don't know how good this will work right now but Im thinking it should be great once the girls get used to it and should speed things up a bit.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Our TB team just went to using these, my dd loves it. It's easy and then everyone on the team knows where the ball is supposed to go instead of just the pitcher and catcher. She has offense and defense plays on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
This system was implemented at our hs this season. Seemed pretty complicated. Had DD attempt to explain to me and I just started drooling out of the corner of my mouth. Would get a chuckle once in awhile when a kid would holler out "I don't have that number" quickly followed by the series of numbers.

Dec 19, 2014
Went to using wristbands for DD (10u) travel team. Definitely has sped up the exchange. Used it in LL All stars up until the state championship game when the other team complained. Saying it was reflective and distracting. We had a back up plan but has anyone else run into this?
Incus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619