using wrist bands for pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
im looking at going to wrist bands next year. I coach a 10u squad. Any advice?

Perhaps your team is at a higher level than the 10U squads that I've coached. I certainly didn't need a wrist band for pitches nor did we have that many defensive plays to call. It didn't matter if the other teams knew that we were stealing, we only had a couple of outs stealing all season. Not sure if it is worth it at 10U?

Apr 12, 2015
Most of the 10U pitchers from my area would have no need of wristbands. They only have three pitches:

1. Strike
2. Ball
3. What the hell was that?!?

Jul 15, 2015
Perhaps your team is at a higher level than the 10U squads that I've coached. I certainly didn't need a wrist band for pitches nor did we have that many defensive plays to call. It didn't matter if the other teams knew that we were stealing, we only had a couple of outs stealing all season. Not sure if it is worth it at 10U?

We are looking to go to wrist bands due to our girls not being able to understand signs. We had 3 signs. Bunt, steal, show bunt. It was to much for them. We started every practice going over the signs. I feel like all that time was wasted. We tried everything. I couldn't make the signs any easier. We also never changed them. To protect my sanity we have to try something different. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears. This years team was very young. Next years team will be mostly 10's.

I didn't have to many problems calling pitches. I pretty much only called location. This past weekend is the first time we started mixing in change ups.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am trying to grasp all of this. It is difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. I am still at "if you touch your belt buckle, I am to bunt."

Jun 7, 2013
We are looking to go to wrist bands due to our girls not being able to understand signs. We had 3 signs. Bunt, steal, show bunt. It was to much for them. We started every practice going over the signs. I feel like all that time was wasted. We tried everything. I couldn't make the signs any easier. We also never changed them. To protect my sanity we have to try something different. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears. This years team was very young. Next years team will be mostly 10's.

I didn't have to many problems calling pitches. I pretty much only called location. This past weekend is the first time we started mixing in change ups.

When I was a Head Coach of a first year 10U team I positioned myself at first base. This allowed me to remind them of how they were supposed to run the bases and instead of giving a steal sign I just told them to go.

And kind of like Amy alluded to in a previous post, keep the signs simple. It probably doesn't matter if the other team "steals" them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Wrist bands take a little getting used to, but once someone learns how to use them they are not a problem. It is also easy to change the signs, just change the pitcher and catchers wrist bands to another set.

Jun 7, 2013
I think that at higher levels than 10U wrist bands make a lot of sense.

As for having signs stealed, I don't usually worry about it. Just last weekend the other team was able to pick the sign for a CU. After I heard the other team tipping off the batter I had a quick conversation with the catcher. The CU sign became fastball. After one expected CU became a fastball the other team stopped shouting CU or any other pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80