Using Gamechanger To Track Pitch Type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
I'm thinking about using Gamechanger to track our pitches by type. For those of you who do this, where do you position yourself? Do you seat yourself next to the coach calling the pitches (and have him/her tell you the pitch) or do you try to read the pitch from the stands/bench?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Keep in mind that the information you receive from the coach will be what pitch was called, not necessarily what pitch was actually delivered. I have found that keeping track of the location of pitches delivered yields more consistent and useful information.

Jan 7, 2014
Depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Keep in mind that the information you receive from the coach will be what pitch was called, not necessarily what pitch was actually delivered. I have found that keeping track of the location of pitches delivered yields more consistent and useful information.

Notionally, I believe our called drop balls are more likely to result in a ground ball. I have no data to back that up. Now maybe our pitcher throws a drop that stays fat...or maybe she's actually throwing a fastball. That delivered information is very good to know...but I still want to be able link the only thing we control (the called pitch) to the actual result with a batter. BTW, for context, this is 12U.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Notionally, I believe our called drop balls are more likely to result in a ground ball. I have no data to back that up. Now maybe our pitcher throws a drop that stays fat...or maybe she's actually throwing a fastball. That delivered information is very good to know...but I still want to be able link the only thing we control (the called pitch) to the actual result with a batter. BTW, for context, this is 12U.

From a practical standpoint there is no comprehensive way to track pitches. As long as you know the limitations of your information you will have a useful tool that will put you way beyond what most teams have in any age group.

Jul 26, 2010
Pitch tracking is only useful if you know both the pitch called (pitch + location) and what the pitch did (hit spot, ball, strike looking, strike swinging, foul, ect)

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves