Use of the Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
HS HC doesn't like CUs to get hit, even if it's for pop ups or ground outs. I think that's the purpose of the pitch..

That's exactly right. For a pitcher that has a great change-up (can locate inside and out AND change speeds) you want this pitch to be swung and/or hit.

It's no different than a pitcher that has a dominant drop-ball or rise. Again they are few and and far between.

Jun 13, 2017
Appreciate the feedback everyone. My DD can sell the pitch well but still needs to work on locating it where she wants. At this point I think it can be effectively used to keep hitters off balance. I was thinking it would, as a general rule, make sense to throw it about 1 out of every 4-5 pitches (20-25%) which doesn’t seem to be far off the feedback received. This is with the assumption the other team has good quality hitters.

Jul 22, 2015
I want to call it enough that every batter thinks they are about to get one; which means calling it early and often. Once they do start to look for it you can go 3 or 4 batters without calling one and really throw them off.

May 27, 2013
My dd gets it called anywhere in the count. It is her best pitch. Love calling it on 3-0 or 3-1 or 3-2 counts. It’s the last pitch the batter expects to see. Also will call a lot of first pitch change-ups. Like mentioned previously, I never call it for a batter that can’t catch up to her FB. There’s no point. I also do not call it on 0-2 counts. They expect it then. She can float it in for a called strike or have it drop down and away for a swing and miss. Been working that pitch hard since 12U. If hit it’s usually hit foul or is a pop up or fly out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi