Unraveling Pitching Frustrations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
There is a lot to unravel in your post. but to this specific question, Confidence, Mental Toughness (the ability to re-focus), Understanding and Maturity.
These are the exact points that we work on. DD has been taught that she has a job, make an out or put her teammates in a position to do so. If an error is made, frustration and blame do not help her do her job for the next at bat. So move on to the next play.

This mentality has helped her find opportunity for growth in even the most brutal games. It allows her to stay engaged and working in her performance.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So does Character stop growing at 6 or 7 ?
Going to say no.
Simply in that life teaches lessons as we go.

Can include then the experience the coach brings in helping the variety of characters on the team.

Sometimes simply how errors and accountability are addressed can help mold character or not.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
These are the exact points that we work on. DD has been taught that she has a job, make an out or put her teammates in a position to do so. If an error is made, frustration and blame do not help her do her job for the next at bat. So move on to the next play.

This mentality has helped her find opportunity for growth in even the most brutal games. It allows her to stay engaged and working in her performance.
☝This advice is good for every player as individual contributions make a team.

Jun 8, 2016
So does Character stop growing at 6 or 7 ?
Going to say no.
Simply in that life teaches lessons as we go.

Can include then the experience the coach brings in helping the variety of characters on the team.

Sometimes simply how errors and accountability are addressed can help mold character or not.
How somebody reacts outwardly (eg what people see) to situations can be changed but changing what goes on in one's head (which is their true character..) is a tough nut to crack imo. For example, sort of on topic (this isn't necessarily about character but mentality towards the game but it is similar imo) there are plenty of kids who get individual fielding instruction. Mechanics are flawless, instructor teaches them the proper way to attack certain balls, they have all the physical tools etc,etc but come game time they don't execute. A ball that should have been charged isn't, an angle that should have been taken isn't, even with all the instruction in the world. Why? They don't have the right mentality..you cannot teach some things. Those kids eventually find themselves on the bench and everybody says what a waste of talent but in reality they didn't have the talent that counts the most..the 6+ inches between the ears.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
As far as pitchers dealing with defensive errors I tell my students to look at a base on balls as an error by the pitcher. Then I ask them how many errors they typically make in a game.
Interesting way to discuss walks/free bases...I kinda like giving them that perspective along the way.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Pitchers apply themselves in ways other players could use as a positive example of training ethic.

Certainly not all pitchers personalities are the same.

Those two elements express to me...
Everyone on the field can pay attention to technical better performance.

TO the topic of pitchers learning to handle frustration...
While it may be mental composure,
Seems
If all players applied effort as pitchers do, that mental observation of effort
could in turn
SUPPORT OUR PITCHERS !!!

easing frustration.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019
This is a great topic. My DD is currently in a situation where the fielders cannot hold their weight at all. I am talking about maybe 3 innings all summer without an error being committed for all 3 pitchers combined. It's that bad!
When this first started she was very positive about it and hoped the girls would get better over winter. I would tell her no one is perfect including her and she just needs to keep working to improve herself. Now she is at the point where she is having a hard time keeping it together on the rubber. She can see the same kids doing the same mistake over and over. She sees those same kids not work hard in practice and don't really care about getting better. At this point I tell her lets just get through this season and we will find a team that has kids that match her desire to be better.
I can say if she was on a team with kids who tried hard and failed it would not bother her when an error happened but when errors happen because they don't care and don't work in practice that's when it gets ugly.
I tell her she can vent to me or mom all she wants as a way to release some of that built up anger because I fear it might come out on the field it she doesn't.

Jun 22, 2019
My daughter always tells the player that makes the error...”you’ll get the next one” to try and make sure they don’t lose confidence.

She then gets in the car and vents her frustrations about missed opportunities, both hers and others, if they lose.

Good pitchers have a good poker face and have to realize quickly that once the play is over, you can’t get that one back, but you can make the next one....just like each pitch.

Of course pitchers get frustrated, but good ones never show their frustrations.

Aug 21, 2008
As far as pitchers dealing with defensive errors I tell my students to look at a base on balls as an error by the pitcher. Then I ask them how many errors they typically make in a game.

That's interesting. Is it an error on the pitcher when the umpire is missing calls? When an umpire's zone changes?

RAD, I remember acting negatively when I was young and dumb and someone made an error. I quickly learned not to do that because I didn't want anything said when I'd give up a homerun.

I do find it frustrating that most infielders/outfielders don't put as much time into their craft as pitchers/catchers or their hitting. Now, I realize someone will come on here and tell me how wrong I am that THEIR KID takes 200 ground balls per day, 200 fly balls per day, etc. etc. But overall, what I'm saying is true. You typically don't see a parent working with their kid at a park on their fielding, the way you do a pitcher or someone hitting. So, please everyone save me the replies about how YOUR kid out works everyone. I get it, it's not everyone. I am speaking about the majority.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06