Unraveling Pitching Frustrations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
That's interesting. Is it an error on the pitcher when the umpire is missing calls? When an umpire's zone changes?

RAD, I remember acting negatively when I was young and dumb and someone made an error. I quickly learned not to do that because I didn't want anything said when I'd give up a homerun.

I do find it frustrating that most infielders/outfielders don't put as much time into their craft as pitchers/catchers or their hitting. Now, I realize someone will come on here and tell me how wrong I am that THEIR KID takes 200 ground balls per day, 200 fly balls per day, etc. etc. But overall, what I'm saying is true. You typically don't see a parent working with their kid at a park on their fielding, the way you do a pitcher or someone hitting. So, please everyone save me the replies about how YOUR kid out works everyone. I get it, it's not everyone. I am speaking about the majority.
I’m glad that Hillhouse is cruising the parks keeping tabs on parents and their young fielders. Good gosh.

Jun 8, 2016
That's interesting. Is it an error on the pitcher when the umpire is missing calls? When an umpire's zone changes?

RAD, I remember acting negatively when I was young and dumb and someone made an error. I quickly learned not to do that because I didn't want anything said when I'd give up a homerun.

I do find it frustrating that most infielders/outfielders don't put as much time into their craft as pitchers/catchers or their hitting. Now, I realize someone will come on here and tell me how wrong I am that THEIR KID takes 200 ground balls per day, 200 fly balls per day, etc. etc. But overall, what I'm saying is true. You typically don't see a parent working with their kid at a park on their fielding, the way you do a pitcher or someone hitting. So, please everyone save me the replies about how YOUR kid out works everyone. I get it, it's not everyone. I am speaking about the majority.
Well if the majority don’t work on it then the majority of teams are in the same boat in which case the better pitcher probably wins anyway...right? 😉

Aug 21, 2008
I’m glad that Hillhouse is cruising the parks keeping tabs on parents and their young fielders. Good gosh.

Funny. Actually, not a day of lessons goes by that parents and pitchers don't tell me about how bad the fielding is on their team. While I realize a lot of parents will call a 200mph line drive off someone's forehead an error, but when I watch games being streamed on YouTube or whatever, I see it for myself. Bad errors, not covering bases, overthrows, etc.

And since someone else is likely to chime in with a shot across the bow, I do realize errors happen. I've made my own share of them. But that doesn't take away from my overall point. I know I didn't practice fielding as often as I should've either. But if you think fielders put in as much with fielding as they do with hitting, or as much work as a pitcher does with weekly lessons, then I will stand corrected.

Oct 14, 2019
I was sitting with a pitcher’s mom last week. She used to be a reasonable woman. Her daughter was on the mound and she was doing gamechanger for the team. The batter hit a fly ball and the LF came charging in. The ball sailed over her head and the batter reached 3rd. The LF never came close to touching the ball. I read the box score later and the pitcher’s mom called it an error. All a matter of perspective, I guess.

Jun 8, 2016
I was sitting with a pitcher’s mom last week. She used to be a reasonable woman. Her daughter was on the mound and she was doing gamechanger for the team. The batter hit a fly ball and the LF came charging in. The ball sailed over her head and the batter reached 3rd. The LF never came close to touching the ball. I read the box score later and the pitcher’s mom called it an error. All a matter of perspective, I guess.
I realize it looks conspicuous but do you think she actually knows that shouldn’t be called an error?

Oct 14, 2019
yes. she used to be scrupulous but her daughter might not be cut out to be a pitcher despite the weekly lessons and hard work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan