Unfair (Unethical IMO) League Set Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. Everyone else in your rec league sucked and all these other crappy rec leagues suck, too, and you're one of the only ones who did it right. :rolleyes:

Since this thread is such a painful reminder to you of all the suffering you endured during your rec days, perhaps you'd be better off leaving this one to the people who might have an interest in helping the OP to deal with their present situation.

I don't think I ever played rec, I'll have to check with my father on that one. My older brother had blazed a trail through the states premier TB organization, so I had an advantage getting in early.........I guess.*

I don't think I ever said "everyone" else sucked. I said each age group had a dominate team, because of a coach that had BB or FB experience, time invested in preparing them, and how to "work" the rules.*

I've had a passion for the game since I played T-ball, it's what we do *this family. I picked my girls by that same "passion", you can see it in their eyes, you can see it every time they progress in practice.*

But yes sir. It would make me mad after the girls and I worked so hard to get where we were and someone wants to just take it away and spread it around.*

That's like me working hard in school, going to college to make a better life for my family and I. Then someone forcing me to support the guy up the road who drops out, wastes his life drinking and partying and then cries the system is unfair.*

Apr 26, 2012
Win or lose, half of the fans are disappointed...On winning team over half of the parents are disjointed...

More than half on this winning team. The parents look like they're watchin a horror movie. Watching them play without the emotion of our girls involved is pretty funny. They don't even cheer unless they score. The girls aren't having fun but they're getting exactly what they signed up for. They aren't getting better. I just don't see the point. Go Lady Vols!

Apr 26, 2012
I don't think I ever played rec, I'll have to check with my father on that one. My older brother had blazed a trail through the states premier TB organization, so I had an advantage getting in early.........I guess.*

I don't think I ever said "everyone" else sucked. I said each age group had a dominate team, because of a coach that had BB or FB experience, time invested in preparing them, and how to "work" the rules.*

I've had a passion for the game since I played T-ball, it's what we do *this family. I picked my girls by that same "passion", you can see it in their eyes, you can see it every time they progress in practice.*

But yes sir. It would make me mad after the girls and I worked so hard to get where we were and someone wants to just take it away and spread it around.*

That's like me working hard in school, going to college to make a better life for my family and I. Then someone forcing me to support the guy up the road who drops out, wastes his life drinking and partying and then cries the system is unfair.*

You kinda came across as part of the problem. You knew that though. Liked the smileys and tone change in your second post.

Jul 26, 2010
Most leagues around here use a draft. Only 2 adults are part of any team at the start, the manager and head coach. They get to have their own kids, but those are the only guarantees. The draft has 3 rounds. Pitchers go first, until all teams have an even amount of pitchers (pitchers determined by manager and division director at tryouts, some years you have great pitchers, some years you have kids that can throw the ball over the plate, pitchers are decided based on the current years crop) Next round is travel ball players, so each team gets an even amount of those, then the general draft is the last round. If a team wants assistant coaches, they have to be drafted.

Teams can stay together so long as they are in the same division. IE a 12u team's players return so long as they're playing 12u. At that years draft, all the players are put on the board and that team does not draft until the other teams are equalized (so if the returning team has 1 pitcher, and there are enough pitchers in the draft for 2 pitchers per team, the returning team does not get a pitcher the first round).

Teams do not stay together when moving up an age bracket, all players go back into the draft, if a manger and coach move up together, they have to draft their new team.

This starts in 10u. 7u we just let kids play with their friends, since we don't keep score anyway.

-W

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Goingdeep, that's an awesome way to build an excellent TB team or TB organization.

But for rec it sucks for a good many girls. the teams like init4thegirls who wind up with 7 girls who have never played before, some of whom are signed up by parents who just think thier kid needs and activity and few hours of coach babysit wind up getting crushed and losing all interest in softball after a single season.

Just my $0.02

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You kinda came across as part of the problem. You knew that though. Liked the smileys and tone change in your second post.

Yea, you'll have to forgive me. I had surgery on my back yesterday and the meds got me moody. First time I've been in the hospital in 20 years, hope it 20 more before I go again. :)

*This organization was one of the top in the state BEFORE and WHILE I was there. You have to live in the township to play, and even now 8 years later we only have 4500 total residents. No other city or town sent more allstar teams to regions and state than we did in that time frame.

*I moved here, grew up in the BIG city. Not sure what they put in the water around here but it's a hot bed for softball talent for a town that covers maybe 8 sq miles. Lol

Some idiot director changed the rules because his kid never made the allstar team or could make local TB teams. He destroyed the league, thus my hostility.*

Happy part is now I'm seeing all their hard work pay off. 6 of the girls who started/played with me in this "rec" league from 4-10 have signed in the last year. One in D1, 2 in D2, 2 in CC, and one just signed into NAIA. Free education baby!! :)

Look, it took me a year to figure out how the picks and draft worked. Just watch and write down girls names for next year, go after them early in the draft. You have to be aggressive. A good pitcher and catcher first, then first base and short stop. With these four you can beat most rec teams, then build from there.*

Good luck.*

Mar 31, 2012
Ok, I respect that fact that you are supporting your wife's decision to get involved even though you don't have any kids yet. I should have known you don't have any kids yet by the fact that you are asking for help on this board.

Because if you had kids, you would undoubtably already have seen all of the following movies many, many times, and would already how to remedy your problem.

Here are the movies.

Bad News Bears (baseball)
Kicking and Screaming (soccer)
Little Giants (football)

Each movie concerns the case of an underdog team of losers who confront the elite and evil team of perpetual winners. In each case the underdog formula for succcess is the same. They bring in ringers.

Bad News Bears:
Realizing his dilemma, Coach Buttermaker brings aboard girl pitching ace Amanda Whurlizer, the daughter of a former girlfriend, and Kelly Leak, a motorcycle punk who happens to be the best player around.

Kicking and Screaming:
Phil Weston: This is Gian Piero and Massimo. They're apprentice butchers. Mark Avery: Could the blacksmiths and candlestick makers not make it? Mike Ditka: Shut up!
Mike Ditka: New game plan - pass the ball to the EYEtalians!

Little Giants "They luck out when Becky discovers Junior Floyd expertly passing rolls of toilet paper right into a shopping cart at the supermarket"

You still may not win, but you will at least make it to the championship game whereup something similar to the ending of Bad News Bears will take place:

Yankees Coach: My boys would like to say something to your team.

Boys. We just wanna say you guys played a good game. And we treated you pretty unfair all season. We want to apologize. We still don't think you're all that good a baseball team... but you got guts, all of you. Let's give them a cheer. Come on. Two, four, six, eight! Who do we appreciate? Bears! Bears!

Bear Player Tanner: Hey, Yankees! You can take your apology and your trophy... and shove it straight up your a$$! And another thing, just wait till next year.

Why try and re-invent the wheel when the Road Map for success is already written?

I wish you, and your hapless team of underdogs, good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp