Unbelievable issue from Parent on team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Sounds like that was the best $100 you've ever spent. I feel bad for the daughter, though, to be caught in the middle. If she's anything like my daughter, she's more worried about losing all her friends on the team.

Jul 26, 2010
Remember that the ASA and USSSA have mechanisms in place to ensure team fees get paid. Players that are reported as not played are ineligible to play ASA or USSSA.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
However, I've had a coach tell me once that he didn't take a particular girl on his team because he didn't think she would fit in. Actually, he told me this two different times. One girl was not the same race as the others. The other not have the same sexual orientation. These kinds of things are real, unfortunately.

But I think that's his right to choose who he wants around his other teammates. When you are putting a team together with the expectations of hours spent during the week at practice and days spent together over the weekends you have to use some level of common sense. In my experience it's not the child someone passes on due to race, it's the parents who act a fool and get her crossed off the list. I've passed on many kids of my own race because the parents would destroy any team comradery we were trying to build.

The sexual orientation part is a little tougher. Is it the coaches business, not really. Last time I checked less than 5% of the total population of America were homosexual, so it's not widely excepted and certainly not excepted in certain parts of the country. As long as a player doesnt pressure the others to her opinion, or have a history of vulgar/indecent behavior, or make the others feel uncomfortable I don't see too much of a problem.

Truth is we never know the whole story behind choices. We can only hope it's the right choices for the right reasons.

May 25, 2010
But I think that's his right to choose who he wants around his other teammates. When you are putting a team together with the expectations of hours spent during the week at practice and days spent together over the weekends you have to use some level of common sense.

Truth is we never know the whole story behind choices. We can only hope it's the right choices for the right reasons.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

That is one of my favorite movies of all time. We got the DVD years ago, and last Christmas my wife bought me the blue-ray special edition.

I do understand your simple reply and it's a good example. Over the years at work I've tried to read resumes and applications from the last page to the first. I want to get a feel for the individual before I see on the front page the sex, age, or race of the applicant.

Edited: Unbelievable issue from Parent on team
I had a girl on our team that missed 4 practices this fall then last weekend she didnt show up to a tournament because her Mom said her car broke down, we only have 10 girls on the team. We offered to send a parent 80miles from the tourney site to pick her up but her mom said she had the tire almost fixed and that she would be on her way. She never showed up. We found out this weekend that she played for another team that weekend. I questioned her Mom and she confirmed that she did indeed play with the other team and left us high and dry.
I told her that it wasnt fair to the rest of the team and we required honesty from the girls and the parents and that her DD would have to turn in her uniform and was off the team. She said that "thats OK you obviously don't want my child on the infield anyway"
We treat EVERY girl and parent with respect and dignity as we should, this comment FLOORED us!
While she was leaving we offered her $100 for the equipment she purchased with team logo and she proceeded to take the money the turn to leave and said "you aint getting nothing from me" "you never gave me no money". We called the police and filed a report for the money she took from us.
THIS IS CRAZY! Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

Bold was edited, if you take the race part out, does it make your judgement of the actions any less?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm going to throw this out there for what it is worth. Sometimes, parents strike out when they know that they have done something that has hurt their child's chances of playing in order to divert the attention away from their mistake. In this case, playing for another team. The child, I'd suspect, didn't have any say in this and was just doing what she was told to do. It is easier now for the parent to make you the enemy for the child/family than to be accountable. The truth is she might not feel that way at all.

Per the video on Remember the Titans, my dd and I used to watch it and The Natural as a Father/Daughter thing. The Natural was just on and so, my dd and I spent tonight texting each other as we watched the video. Good times!!! I hope all of you have those types of good times.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
CB, is your DD playing any college fall ball? We've had some good games down this way to watch. Games we can't make it to we air share from the iPad to the big screen. That's our father/daughter time. :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
They played two double headers and now are done with fall ball. They are taking their mandatory days off between the fall ball season and off season workouts this week. HR, 2 doubles and single in first DH. 1-5 w/walk in second DH. She was very upset on second DH. To quote her, "I've worked too hard to fail." Then she kind of lost it. Thanks for asking!

May 11, 2012
Mom is an idiot. Your lucky to have her off your team. A moron like this doesnt care that her actions effect other children. She could have easily just said she had problems and they wanted to leave but making up lies and letting you beleive they were coming sounds on par with this kind of moron.

Congratulations. Your team just got better IMO

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
They played two double headers and now are done with fall ball. They are taking their mandatory days off between the fall ball season and off season workouts this week. HR, 2 doubles and single in first DH. 1-5 w/walk in second DH. She was very upset on second DH. To quote her, "I've worked too hard to fail." Then she kind of lost it. Thanks for asking!

DH sometimes can be strange, but I know how she feels. I always want to do average on the first one and good on the last, for my mental state. But it doesn't always work out that way.

CB or anyone, what is the rules for fall games? How many can you have, etc? Reason I'm asking is Sunday 2 of the schools my DD has visited played each other.... a Juco and D2. The Juco site says they are 14-3-1 for the fall, the D2 does not list their record. I do know the Juco has played other NAIA-D2 in the weekends before. I'm just curious.

HR, 2 doubles and single in first DH. 1-5 w/walk in second DH. She was very upset on second DH.

She's been in this game a long time, I'm sure she was upset, but she will bounce back quickly.

We all have bad games, heck even I struck out once back in 91'..........or was it 92'. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207