Umps, how would you deal with this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No, the umpire is not the game announcer. He did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Considering your responses, it makes me think it is about time you took off your daddy/coach hat if you are going to speak as an umpire.

I have umpired sports to the D1 level in college when I was younger - been putting on some sort of officials shirt for most of the last 32 years. Not softball mind you which is much more recent - but since I started seriously doing softball games I am progressing nicely and have consistently moved up to get the higher and higher games. Evaluated out in the top 10 for high school this season so I am doing something right out there.

We have umpires in our room who I absolutely respect their deep knowledge of the rules, mechanics and their lengthy experience as softball (and often baseball) officials. I learn an awful lot from them. But some have no game management skills or people skills and very little awareness of what is really going on when they are actually on the field. Many seem more concerned with how their shirt is tucked in and how black their shoes are. They are genuinely confused on why coaches don't like many of them despite their technical expertise and experience and how it is always them who end up in some ridiculous situation with everyone mad at them.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Since we are doing resumes, I started umpiring in 1966 (baseball). Transitioned to softball in 88. ASA State UIC for more than a decade, Elite and ISF certified. National tournament UIC. More than a dozen years on the local ASA & NFHS Ratings Committee. I have attended or given more clinics and schools than I can count. I've been taught by, worked for and with some of the best.

The umpire is there to officiate and manage the game, not the teams. Nor is the umpire there to placate coaches or make up for their shortcomings. I've run into many of this type of umpire who seems more concerned with being liked instead of working the game.

The umpire is to communicate with the coach. The umpire in the OP did exactly what he was supposed to do. That should be the end of his responsibility in that situation, but he took it a step further by informing the player of the situation.

Aug 23, 2016
OP here. In defense of the umpire in this situation, the two batters (the girl who ran with two strikes and the girl who was next in the order) look nearly identical. I guarantee that if you had asked the ump why he didn't make the batter return to finish her at-bat from the very start, he would have told you that he didn't realize it was a different batter. There was so much confusion with the girl circling the bases, and when he went to resume the at-bat it looked like the right girl was in the box. Had it been any other two girls in the lineup, I'm sure the situation never would have happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi