Umps: Earring Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
My DD recently had an ear piercing and is not supposed to remove the piercing for the first 30 days. In the past I have seen Umps treat earrings with different standards. Some require all earrings to be removed and others are OK if the earring is covered with safety tape. What is the official ASA rule or policy on earrings?

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The ASA rule leaves it up to the umpire.

JEWELRY. Exposed jewelry, which is judged by the umpire to be dangerous,
must be removed and may not be worn during the game. Medical alert
bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry. If worn, they must be
taped to the body so the medical alert information remains visible

Jan 20, 2010
I have heard numerous Umpires say pregame that taking out earrings for a couple of hours will not cause any harm and that they would not allow the ears to be taped up.

Jul 28, 2008
Every game we played; USSSA, NSA & ASA, all said to remove them. No exceptions up here. One little girl even had to remove her nose ring at 10U.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Why does a girl under ten even HAVE a nose ring?

Seriously. And don't states have laws about stuff like that? I know that in VA you have to be 16 with parental permission to get your belly button done. I would have thought most states would have laws like that. Then again, she could have done it herself or had someone else do it. (Which is not a good idea, for the record)

Here, our girls can throw tape over the ear rings. I think it is just a lot easier to wait until after ball season to get anything pierced. That is what the months of December and January are for!

Oct 12, 2009
Seriously. And don't states have laws about stuff like that? I know that in VA you have to be 16 with parental permission to get your belly button done. I would have thought most states would have laws like that. Then again, she could have done it herself or had someone else do it. (Which is not a good idea, for the record)

Here, our girls can throw tape over the ear rings. I think it is just a lot easier to wait until after ball season to get anything pierced. That is what the months of December and January are for!

As soon as soccer season is over in the Fall, I tell my parents that now is the time to get the girls' ears pierced because that gives the ears time to heal and close before softball season starts.

Of course, that only works before 3rd grade because then they start playing basketball.

In our leagues, the earrings thing varies widely. It generally only gets looked at and enforced in playoff games, when you get older umps and refs who do everything by the book.

You average younger rec ump or ref is unlikely to notice or care.

Small, flat studs are much more likely to get a pass than are anything big or even the least bit dangly.

My DD got her ears pierced a couple of years ago after the season. She begged and begged during the season and I wouldn't allow it. When I was younger and played soccer, we had a girl get her lobe ripped by another player tugging the earring right off. I have never forgotten that - clunky studs, even! DD doesn't wear earrings when playing. We had a player get her 2nd hole this week. DD came home from practice the day after the girl had gotten them and said how glad she was she didn't want that - said the girl winced every time she put on her helmet and took it off.

Our cheerleaders a few years back decided to all get their belly buttons pierced. When raising their arms, the piercings were very visible. Headmaster told them to remove them when cheering at any event. That fad faded.

Nose ring at 10? Even if someone else had done it (or she had done it to herself), as a parent it would have come out immediately. To me, that is just plain tacky.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What about those "dermal piercings?" They are permanent and they don't come out. I didn't know what they were until my niece got one. It is near her collar bone.

(I am so glad that my kids are raised.) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG