Umpires what’s the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What about a passed ball?

Naturally, without coaching, the girls will back away from the play at the plate. But if a righty doesn't move at all, they could be in the direct path of the runner, right? They aren't suppose to stay there.

The rule clearly says they need to vacate or move out of the way. So get out of Dodge - most head to the fence or to the opposite side of the plate. The fence is a GREAT place to be.

• When I am umpiring my first thought is 'was the defense attempting any sort of legitimate play'.
    • For example, if a batter gets hit by a stray throw that is not their fault.
    • I had one where the catcher was just throwing the ball back to the pitcher and didn't wait for the batter to clear and the ball hit the batters helmet - that is not interference.
    • I had one where the runner wasn't stealing, but the catcher tried to throw to second and whacked the batter - that is also not interference.
  • Next - 'did the batter legitimately have a reasonable opportunity to get out of the way'. If the answer to that is 'yes', then they are going to probably get called for it. Batters are not magical - they can't just disappear.
  • The other thing I am often looking for is 'Did the batter move into the path or stay in the path of the attempted play after they have clearly completed their swing'

• There is no needed intent component to the call - just not meaning to or a player just being unaware of what is going on is not part of the decision making process.
    • Should note that if there IS intent, then it IS interference. And possible penalties beyond an out.
  • The batters box is not magic. It is not a 'safe zone'
  • Standing still is also not magically making you safe.
  • The player can just blunder into the interference call. For example, I had a player just guess wrong on the direction to vacate the batters box... ran right into a throw... Yep, interference.
There are other things to consider as well - but the above covers probably 95% of the situations that commonly happen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi