Umpires: Call a STRIKE ZONE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Inconsistent is better than not having zone at all. If I have to chase a zone - while that is not ideal, at least we can try to work with that. We always are looking to find where the zone is and adjusting to how the game is being called.

If you NEVER raise your arm to make a called strike call then you shouldn't umpire. As simple as that. I can't 'find the umpires zone' if he doesn't have one.

Next time I get a "throw down the middle only at waist height or you have no chance of getting a strike" umpire I am going to take a tee out to the plate, put a ball at it and tell the umpire that I might as well just let them hit off a tee because that is what he is making my pitcher throw.

I'll get thrown out but at least I'll have earned it for once.

Yes, Yes, and YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The ONLY good remark to an umpire is to remind him to call the same on both halves of the inning. And say something like "that was a strike in the top half, call it both ways,"

FYI...this is NOT a good thing to say to an umpire, or any sports official for that matter.

This is directly questioning the integrity of the official...implying that s/he is favoring one team over another.
Not a way to get the official to listen to your concerns.

Jan 24, 2011
FYI...this is NOT a good thing to say to an umpire, or any sports official for that matter.

This is directly questioning the integrity of the official...implying that s/he is favoring one team over another.
Not a way to get the official to listen to your concerns.

Well , I actually had an umpire tell me that the opposing pitcher wasn't as good as mine and he would give her a little extra room......I got ejected

Jul 2, 2013
I am a hitters dad. I like a tight strike zone. Call me crazy.

Pitchers intentionally throw off the plate, and beg, sometimes scream to get the call. Too bad I say.

Call the zone the way it should be called ... don't give a few inches here and there, and the hitters will produce.

Sorry, pitchers dads. The good part is at the higher levels, the strike zone keeps getting smaller and smaller (and more true). Deal with it.

If you think it is "putting the ball on a tee" ... it is not. Spin the ball, move the ball, pitchers. Great hitters will hit flat speed OUT more than not, in a nice tight strike zone, as it should be.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am a hitters dad. I like a tight strike zone. Call me crazy.

Pitchers intentionally throw off the plate, and beg, sometimes scream to get the call. Too bad I say.

Call the zone the way it should be called ... don't give a few inches here and there, and the hitters will produce.

Sorry, pitchers dads. The good part is at the higher levels, the strike zone keeps getting smaller and smaller (and more true). Deal with it.

If you think it is "putting the ball on a tee" ... it is not. Spin the ball, move the ball, pitchers. Great hitters will hit flat speed OUT more than not, in a nice tight strike zone, as it should be.

I am not asking for anything more than the zone - and I mean the WHOLE zone. I don't want off the plate or high or low. If the ball is in the zone, I want a strike. There are umpires out there who will only call waist high, down the middle fastball strikes. As a 'hitters dad' that might be great as the poor pitcher has to serve up some meatball to you, but it will drive your coaches nuts. They don't want to have to tell your pitcher to throw straight down the middle either.

I am cool with a high zone or a low zone or an outside zone or an inside zone - as long as it is approximately the same size the strike zone is meant to be. Happy to move and spin the ball into the zone - just make sure you have a zone to move and spin the ball into.

There are several umps locally who just cannot call a change up strike - apparently they get as fooled as the batter. There is also one who bails on any pitch inside and calls it a ball even though he bailed out with the ball 3/4 of the way to the plate so he has NO idea if it was a ball or strike. Also a lot of umps can't seem to call the zone over the plate - they move the zone to wherever in the box the batter is standing.

I am also sick of the umps who tell us 'we are going to tighten the zone up for nationals/state championships' - why? Did the rules change?

BTW - I have umpired. I know calling balls and strikes isn't easy. I worked my butt off to get to a point where I felt I was good enough to do it reasonably well. I found calling low strikes is HARD in particular. It is a skill you have to work hard at.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"I am not asking for anything more than the zone - and I mean the WHOLE zone."

According to some folks around here, you have no business asking or expecting any such thing. It seems we are simply to keep our mouths shut, even if the strike zone isn't anything close to the "whole zone." You're just suppose to crack jokes with the umpire, but not jokes about his judgement regarding balls and strikes.

Like you, I'm not asking for anything more than the zone - I mean the WHOLE zone, and for both sides.

Jul 2, 2013
No "whole zone" for me. Anything at or near the letters should be a ball. Really above the naval, should be a ball. Low pitches for strikes are fine, as my DD likes low pitches. A little outside is fine, as my DD likes those also.

High (letters) and inside will get her most times, as she crowds the plate.

It is simple though really ... I don't complain, or even think about the strike zone except to tell my DD where he is calling it. "He likes them outside" ... "he is calling them inside" ... "Better swing, he is all over the place" ... "watch close, he is nice and tight".

That is what I spend my time doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32