umpire question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
In a two man crew who is responsible for watching the catch on a flyball to the outfield and who is responsible for runners tagging?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
In 2 man rotation, PU has all fly balls. If fly ball hit to the outfield, PU has the call and BU comes inside the diamond to watch the runners. At least, that's what I remember from ASA umpire clinics.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Two-man mechanics assumed:

With runners on base, the Plate Umpire (PU) has tag-ups at third base. Base umpire (BU) has 1st & 2nd

Who has catch/no catch depends on whether there are runners or not.
In general - with no one on, it is the PU unless the BU specifically goes out to view it for some reason.
With runners on - if it is in the cone and in the outfield - BU. Outside the cone or in the infield, in general the PU. Cone can be thought of the area inside imaginary lines from home plate through SS & second to the fence

It sounds complex - it really isn't - it is all detailed at this link - including what the 'cone' is: Two-man Umpire Mechanics: Roles - Responsibilities

Nov 1, 2013
Careful with that web site shown in the post above. It is a baseball umpire web site. There can (will) be differences.

Here is the NFHS website with videos on specific umpire positioning and responsibilities. It can visually show you what is suppose to happen. HS mechanics and ASA mechanics are similar.

See if you can copy and post the link.

nfhs-softball Videos

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Two-man mechanics assumed:

With runners on base, the Plate Umpire (PU) has tag-ups at third base. Base umpire (BU) has 1st & 2nd

Who has catch/no catch depends on whether there are runners or not.

Speaking ASA & HS, this is inaccurate.

The PU always has catch unless the BU goes out for the call (rare in 2 umpire mechanics). If more than one runner, PU has lead runner, BU has the others. On a ball to the right side, it is not uncommon for the PU to take the runner @ 1st and BU take any other runners. The umpires will communicate the deviation to make sure everything is covered.

It sounds complex - it really isn't - it is all detailed at this link - including what the 'cone' is: Two-man Umpire Mechanics: Roles - Responsibilities

This is baseball, not the same game or mechanics.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Speaking ASA & HS, this is inaccurate.

The PU always has catch unless the BU goes out for the call (rare in 2 umpire mechanics). If more than one runner, PU has lead runner, BU has the others. On a ball to the right side, it is not uncommon for the PU to take the runner @ 1st and BU take any other runners. The umpires will communicate the deviation to make sure everything is covered.

This is baseball, not the same game or mechanics.

Fair enough. I see a lot of umpires still using this mechanic and it was how I was originally taught. That is some time ago now... Must get updated for fastpitch. My bad

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Fair enough. I see a lot of umpires still using this mechanic and it was how I was originally taught. That is some time ago now... Must get updated for fastpitch. My bad

Its been that way for no less than 28 years, probably longer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00