Umpire Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the tip on the umpire book Marriad, That's what I need. and as for shin guards, when you order them I'm sure they mention how to measure your leg for the proper fit. And yes, the cup!.......As for rule books, as in hand books, there really aren't any new one. ( I just asked this question in the rules section) You'll have to download 85 plus pages and carry them around in a binder.

Welcome to the ranks of the unappreciated!......You'll have fun!

Love that umpire book. Best value for money and so much nicer than other workaround people use.

I've gone to rule books downloaded on my mobile phone. That works well for me. I assume you can do that for USA Softball - but I don't do that sanction anymore so not sure. It certainly works for NFHS/PGF/USSSA and NCAA.

For the important cup protection, I use Shockdoctor with some Shockdoctor hockey undergarments. Works for me. You thankfully don't take many hits there, but these have absolutely saved me when I have. In general, it tends to happen in lower age groups more than older age groups.

May 29, 2015
I know we keep beating this one to death ... but it is amazing what an impression that line-up holder/book makes with coaches at your plate meeting. I ordered mine right before a State Tournament and had several coaches comment on it (and two try to steal it).

As for rule books, THE rule book for your code is all you need. As you get more into it, additional reading is good. However when you are getting started, it is easy to get to far ahead of yourself.

Digital copies are great as they are usually searchable.

One other unusual but important piece of equipment: a silver Sharpie marker. Put your name in ALL of your gear. Shirts, pants, hats, mask, shin and chest protectors, EVERYTHING ... especially that fancy new line-up card holder.

I’m not saying some umpires are cheap and sometimes of questionable morals ... I’m saying that when you get a few dozen people crammed into a small area and they all wearing the same thing and carrying the same gear, things get ... mixed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi